GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Microfilter rant

Default Microfilter rant

Just changed the interior microfilter as part of service inspection. Second time I've done the job and experience didn't make it any easier. Has anyone ever suggested that the engineer who designed that should do pennance by changing ours?

OK rant done, I feel better now...

I do not have one on my 1988 E32, they only started in summer 1990 for the E32. I would like to do the job no matter how difficult, if I had one. My wife has a lot of probs with pollen allergy and is always complaining about this.
    But it is impossible to modify to filter version on that old car, unless I install a complete new IHKA unit.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    I do not have one on my 1988 E32, they only started in summer 1990 for the E32. I would like to do the job no matter how difficult, if I had one. My wife has a lot of probs with pollen allergy and is always complaining about this. But it is impossible to modify to filter version on that old car, unless I install a complete new IHKA unit.
    Haven't you got one there out the back? I pulled my dash last week- it wouldn't be that hard... well perhaps 2 days work, and one to trouble-shoot... (crumbs) am I mad??

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

The first car we are disassembling now is also from 1988, so also no filter inside. I have almost everything out in the cabin except the IHKA unit and some wiring which I want to get out as complete cable looms with all connectors. etc.
    The blue Highline is from 03/1990, that also does not have one, and this car I want to drive in the future.
    The other grey Highline 750iL is from 1991, that has one. But we still have not decided to keep it, disassemble or if we repair it (small things actually, no big deal) and sell it. And the 750iL from 03/1994 has it for sure. But from that one we want to keep the best parts as that was the last production month for E32.
    But we cannot start disassembling all cars at once. I told the guys, first the blue one has to go to the press after everything is out.
    Because today I was asked by my buddy if we can buy this one now
    Has only 40k km, 750iL

If I tell that my dearest, oh my oh my......

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Because today I was asked by my buddy if we can buy this one now Has only 40k km, 750iL If I tell that my dearest, oh my oh my......
    My commisserations... it is a Lord's nightmare indeed, you have so many Great Horses but alas, not enough Kingdom!
    Fare well indeed, (I am sure you will) if I was there I'd be helping out big time. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Default I changed mine this weekend

I read up on how to do this from all the various useful write-ups available around here and was expecting a tough fight. But to my susprise I found changing this cabin filter relatively straightforward. I have a 09/95-525 rhd british model, where the cabin filter is situated around the foot pedals. Somehow the directions on these write-ups didn't quite correlate to what I saw myself (probably due to model and year differences). Anyway, all I had to do was remove 1 screw from the trans tunnel side to remove that small-ish piece of carpet out which is left of the clutch pedal. Then remove the platic cover above the pedals, 5 (or so) screws. Remove the 3 plastic clips on this plastic cover which are behind the pedals. Take the cover out. Then after putting my head up against the pedals, I could see a plastic cover with a big locking dial. Turn it a bit, pull cover off. Hey presto, there's the handle for the cabin filter. It doesn't pull out smoothly, but if you wiggle it about around the available space, the filter comes out fine.

Then bung a vacuum in there and clean all the crap out. Replace the new filter and put the cover and carpet back. 6-screws, 3 plastic clips and suddenly we have tons more air flowing in the cabin, fresher air too.

If I had to do it again, I don't think it would take more than 10mins flat in and out of the car without rushing. I think somewhere down the production timeline, bmw changed the filter access from the torture most older models with a cabin filter put you through when it comes time to replace it.

Just a thought to share for those with later models to not fear too much.

Mas

95-525i manual rhd black

Confucius says, "War does not determine who's right. War determine who's left"

i've got a lazyer way, just turn the blower on high and the crap flys out of the case, just did a 93 525 yesterday that i figure had only been changed once as the filter had a date code of 95 on it, the car has 233k miles and absolutely no air came through the vents. i've noticed one odd thing over the years i've yet to change a microfilter that didn't have atleast one rat/mouse turd in it

Quote Originally Posted by Mas (UK)
    Then bung a vacuum in there and clean all the crap out.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it