GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good price for Style 5s?

Default Good price for Style 5s?

I have a line on a set of Style 5s, 5 rims but no tires, for $700. Does this seem reasonable? The guy can also get me a set of new tires at wholesale, so that factors into the deal, too.
    Kristuphir
    =======

'91 535i, 5-speed, black on black
    '59 Ford F-100 camper special
    '77 Honda CB550K (inert)

id say its a deal, if there in good condition. i see them in various places, like 4 for a grand with 50 percent tires give or take a hundo, usually give.

notice you have a e30, pm me details please

Quote Originally Posted by Kristuphir
    I have a line on a set of Style 5s, 5 rims but no tires, for $700. Does this seem reasonable? The guy can also get me a set of new tires at wholesale, so that factors into the deal, too.
    Kris, That's a very good price if they are in decent shape. I paid $1200 for mine, with tires at about 50%....

1995 540i 6-speed
    3.45 LSD, 17" Style 5's, AC Schnitzer Steering Wheel, Momo shift knob

Quote Originally Posted by kyleN20
    id say its a deal, if there in good condition. i see them in various places, like 4 for a grand with 50 percent tires give or take a hundo, usually give.

notice you have a e30, pm me details please
    We talked a couple weeks ago, it was more than you wanted to spend.
    Kristuphir
    =======

'77 Honda CB550K (inert)

sounds about an average or less price,,,,id make sure that there are no cosmetic issues,,,,ie curb rash- as for the 'wholesale price' on the tires,,,,it depends on what his idea of wholesale is. Lots to be said for actually seeing the wheels and tires you are considering,,,and also make sure the offset is correct (20mm),,,and you dont use too wide of tires on the front.
    What size wheels? 17's,,18's?

ahh, damn i forgot, iv been looking at so many, my mistake. dident you have a website for it?

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetr
    sounds about an average or less price,,,,id make sure that there are no cosmetic issues,,,,ie curb rash- as for the 'wholesale price' on the tires,,,,it depends on what his idea of wholesale is. Lots to be said for actually seeing the wheels and tires you are considering,,,and also make sure the offset is correct (20mm),,,and you dont use too wide of tires on the front.
    What size wheels? 17's,,18's?
    I have seen them, there is extremely minor rash on one wheel, they're 17s, and yes, I have some tire research to do...I'll ask him about the offset, too.
    Kristuphir
    =======

'77 Honda CB550K (inert)

Yeah,,,the 20 mm offset is critical,,,as for tires,,,it seems that 235/45/17 is right for your car,,,,,any wider,,,and the fronts can rub on the strut---- recently went thru a bad experience at a tire store,,where they wanted to mount a 'bmw' wheel that had 47mm offset, because they insisted it will fir a 5 series (47mm offset is for a 3 series),,,,well,,,it didnt fit, and in the process, it clipped my brake sensor wire (LF wheel),,,and i had a brake sensor alert come on. Make sure the offset is 20mm for all 4,,,and that your front tire width isnt over 235. You can go wider on the rears,,for a staggered fit, but you wont be able to rotate fronts for backs.
    As for the price,,,what funds ($US, or?)
    Look at what Bruno has to say about tire and wheels,,,,,
    www.bmwe34.net

Art.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetr
    Yeah,,,the 20 mm offset is critical,,,as for tires,,,it seems that 235/45/17 is right for your car,,,,,any wider,,,and the fronts can rub on the strut---- recently went thru a bad experience at a tire store,,where they wanted to mount a 'bmw' wheel that had 47mm offset, because they insisted it will fir a 5 series (47mm offset is for a 3 series),,,,well,,,it didnt fit, and in the process, it clipped my brake sensor wire (LF wheel),,,and i had a brake sensor alert come on. Make sure the offset is 20mm for all 4,,,and that your front tire width isnt over 235. You can go wider on the rears,,for a staggered fit, but you wont be able to rotate fronts for backs.
    As for the price,,,what funds ($US, or?)
    Look at what Bruno has to say about tire and wheels,,,,,
    www.bmwe34.net

Art.
    Most of the Style 5's (17") were made for the E39, and hence will have an Et20mm... 11 - 23 will fit just fine, and you could fit up to a 245 on the front, though there would be no reason to. I ran the Style 5's that are now on my 540/6 on Kris' car, and they worked with zero difficulty.

Kris, be sure to order up a set of hubcentric rings (from Discount Tire or Tire Rack) and have then ready when you are good to go. with the 3.91 LSD you have, you can run up to a 245 rear and still break them loose...

I ran the 235/45 , 245/40 staggered set-up....

1995 540i 6-speed
    3.45 LSD, 17" Style 5's, AC Schnitzer Steering Wheel, Momo shift knob

Good points all, thanks very much.
    Kristuphir
    =======

'77 Honda CB550K (inert)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast