GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: A few questions...

Unregistered Guest

Default A few questions...

Hi, I just bought my 1990 525i a few weeks ago. I have so many questions i dont know where to start and I figure that instead of making a bunch of posts I would just ask all the questions I can think of here and I would appreciate answers to any or all of them from anyone who knows. Thanks in advance

1. whats a decent price to pay to replace all the shocks and bushings?
    2. is there anyway (or any product) so that I can do paint touchups on the "a-pillars" (one of them is badly scratched)
    3. whats a good chip? where can I get it and how much does it cost? how much difference does it make?
    4. Can all e34 engines be swapped. For instance could i potentially put an M5 engine in the car and if so what other things would have to be changed in order to do this?
    5. whats a decent price to pay to get the headliner re-glued?
    6. The sunroof works properly most of the time but sometimes it sticks and wont work if its cold and/or wet outside. is this normal? is there anything i can do to fix it?
    7. Is there any way to remove the plastic (clear window) that is in front of the gauges without a big fuss? (the inside of the plastic is dirty, i dont know how, but it drives me )
    8. I was also thinking of getting those chrome gauge rings, would these be hard to install? can I do it myself despite the fact that Im not that mechanically inclined but am learning to be?

Thats it for now, im sure ill come up with more later being that im constantly thinking about this car (I love it) Like I said I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me on any of these questions. Peace...

Unregistered Guest

Default Damn...

nobody can give me an answer to any of these? I know they are newbie questions, but I am a newbie! Please I'll be grateful for any help here

Default where do you live....

and do you plan on doing the mechanical work like susp. yourself?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Unregistered Guest

Default I live in DC...

I planned on getting the mechanical work done by a mechanic but this is my first car and I have no idea what a decent price is for a mechanic to charge for this stuff. I really have no frame of reference and none of my friends own cars (especially not BMW's)

Default Well, here's some info on #5......

....which is your headliner question.
    (incidently, I need to do this also, so you try it 1st and let us know! )

The headliner material will run you $35-40US at the website associated with these DIY instructions. I'm thinking that an installer would charge you, maybe $150-200US. Check here, it doesn't seem too hard.
    Headliner replacement

Chips for E34s are, IMHO, one of the best bang for the bucks you can spend on your car. I have a Turner Motorsports Conforti chip that cost me $250 around three years ago. Within minutes of me installing it, it's very easy, I could feel the increase in power and smoothness. As their literature states, my HP went from 189 to 211 with their chip. I'm not sure, but it definitely is noticable. Many people here have been using the EAT chip, developed by one of our board members, Mark D, and have been raving about their experiences. I believe the EAT chip will run you around $180-200US, and he has been having raffles for purchasers here, so check out his link for EAT chips here.

As far as the other stuff......I'm not much of a mechanic either, but I'm sure that you will get some more responses, just be patient.

Good Luck
    Brian C.
    '95 525ia
    Last edited by Brian C.; 03-18-2004 at 05:06 PM. Reason: more info added
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

Ahh...

1. To replace it yourself... cheap... bmaautoparts.com... to hire a mechanic... around $600+ minimum...
    2. If you have those touchup place in your area... let them do it... less than $100.
    3. People swear by EAT chips... cheap too at $180 or so.
    4. With $$$$$, anything is possible but not worth it.
    5. Do it yourself... WLS headliners... search under Yahoo!
    6. Take your switch apart and clean the contacts... lube your sunroof moving parts.
    7. Nope... take a bit of time to pull the cluster out... and the speedometer to clean inside.
    8. Again, takes time to do this... but cost you $$$ if you have someone do this.

Do yourself a favor... buy Bentley E34 service manual... will save you many times over in repair cost... There... are you happy now?

Unregistered Guest

Default very happy...

well not really as some things are going to be a bit heavier on my pockets then expected but I'll deal with it. Thansk fellas...