GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: HELP! ETK install with XP Professional?

Default HELP! ETK install with XP Professional?

Hey Everyone,
    I know this may seem kinda stupid, but I can't figure out how to install the ETK software with the XP Professional or just XP? I had it installed on my Windows 98' with no problem, but the read me file doesn't give me exact information for the install. If somebody could give me the folder order to open and the icon to click on for the English Version, that would be GREATLY helpful! I've looked through most of the files and hit the set up folders to find that nothing is really working like it did through Windows 98'. This is a huge request, but if you could E-mail me directly at estonbach@aol.com with your advice, that would be most helpful since the weather is going to be nice here in the Twin Cities, I might be away from the computer for the next day or two! I miss my ETK!
    -Eric
    (OO ( )( ) OO)
    1995 BMW 540i
    Minneapolis Bimmer Group Founder

From explorer
    Select Win 95
    Select bmw
    Select ETK or TIS
    Select setup
    Select ENG. US
    Select yes
    Select next
    Select next
    Select yes
    Select ENG. US
    Select OK
    Select yes
    Select OK
    From the sysadmin icon
    Select EPC or TIS
    Select install
    Follow screen instructions
    ETK CD from version 3.0 7/2000 and newer loads the entire program on the hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by Triton540i
    Hey Everyone,
    I know this may seem kinda stupid, but I can't figure out how to install the ETK software with the XP Professional or just XP? I had it installed on my Windows 98' with no problem, but the read me file doesn't give me exact information for the install. If somebody could give me the folder order to open and the icon to click on for the English Version, that would be GREATLY helpful! I've looked through most of the files and hit the set up folders to find that nothing is really working like it did through Windows 98'. This is a huge request, but if you could E-mail me directly at estonbach@aol.com with your advice, that would be most helpful since the weather is going to be nice here in the Twin Cities, I might be away from the computer for the next day or two! I miss my ETK!
    -Eric

hey bill!

When i do

Select EPC or TIS
    Select install

it tries to read from my 3.5" floppy drive. Then tells me that it can't find any information. of course it can't, its burnt to a CD on my D drive!!

any suggestions?

Default Nope, Computers definitely aren't my strong point, I gather that you're

trying to use a version gotten from the net? My version i bought from bmw
    so it automatically does its thing when i insert the disc to install... I don't know how to create a disc for yours correctly but I'm sure somebody here does... Also the instructions i printed below are the instruction sheet straight from bmw, except there's an additional 13 pages of junk too..

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeak
    hey bill!

When i do

Select EPC or TIS
    Select install

it tries to read from my 3.5" floppy drive. Then tells me that it can't find any information. of course it can't, its burnt to a CD on my D drive!!

any suggestions?

Default In here

here:
    Setup Instructions for ETK:

Allow SETUP to install the application in the C:\BMW95 directory. The application is written to be loaded onto the C:\ of the computer. The database files are directed to look for the application in the C:\BMW95 directory. A “Database cannot be found” error will occur if the program is not allowed to installed into the C:\BMW95 directory.
    1. Insert the ETK disk into your CDROM Drive. Depending on the setup of your computer you may get an AutoPlay Window Popup. If this happens, cancel the AutoPlay.
    2. Go to My Computer and double click on the CD icon to view the files on the CD.
    3. Double click on WIN95 folder, BMW folder, and then ETK folder.
    NOTE: BMW uses a “win95 folder label” the data on the disk is current.
    4. Double click on the setup icon and the installation will begin.
    5. Select English (USA) if prompted for language anytime during the install.
    6. This installation will place an icon called SYSADM with the BMW logo on your desktop. SYSADM is the installation utility for any of the vehicle diagnostic and parts software including TIS, ETK, HTK, etc.
    7. Place the ETK disk into the drive and start SYSADM. Select EPC from the menu then click install.
    8. If the SYSADM version on the ETK is newer it will be replaced automatically. When asked, click OK to replace the older version.
    9. You may be prompted for Total Catalog or Motorcycle, choose Total Catalog.
    10. The installation will start and a window will pop-up and prompt for language. Select English (USA) for use in the US.
    11. Installation will proceed.
    12. When installation is complete you will get another window requesting dealer network information and language. DO NOT CHECK THE DEALER NETWORK BOX. This requires a subscription and password and is used to check inventory on the network. Select English (USA) if being used in the US and continue.
    13. Installation should complete and the program is ready for use.
    14. ETK can be accessed from the TIS by clicking on the “Change” button in the top-level menu. By using the “change” button you can go back and forth between TIS and ETK and retain vehicle parameters.
    15. When you start ETK click on the vehicle identification at the top and select you vehicle and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN into the boxes. If the VIN has been entered correctly you should be able to click the arrow at the lower right of the screen and you will get a Vehicle Identification pop-up. If you are unable to get the software to recognize your vehicle, you can select it by year, model, and options using the menu selections. Mini owner’s need to click the Marque and change to Mini.

Issues Reported:
    Some users have reported that the installation of EPC requires a password after selecting install from the SYSADM menu. A password is not required to use or install this program. If prompted for a password select Europe as the country and the installation will proceed normally. Selecting Europe will not affect the programs functioning.

You will get an “ETK CANNOT OPEN” error if you have the ETK running minimized and try to open it again.

BMW TIS Version 3.2.1

Setup Instructions for TIS:

1. Insert the TIS disk into your CDROM Drive. Depending on the setup of your computer you may get an AutoPlay Window Popup. If this happens, cancel the AutoPlay.
    2. Go to My Computer and double click on the CD icon to view the files on the CD.
    3. Double click on WIN95 folder, BMW folder, and then TIS folder.
    NOTE: BMW uses a “win95 folder label” the data on the disk is current.
    4. Double click on the setup icon and the installation will begin.
    5. Select English (USA) if prompted for language anytime during the install.
    6. This installation will place an icon called SYSADM with the BMW logo on your desktop. SYSADM is the installation utility for any of the vehicle diagnostic and parts software including TIS, ETK, HTK, etc.
    7. Double click the SYSADM icon to open it and select TIS from the menu and then select install.
    8. If prompted for CD or Hard Drive install. If you want TIS to run from the disk, choose CD. If you want TIS to run without the CD in the drive, select hard drive.

WARNING: Installing to the hard drive takes a while for the files to copy. It will also take approximately 650MB of space.

9. Select English (USA) whenever prompted.
    10. This will install the TIS software and place the TIS icon on your desktop.
    11. Click in the TIS icon to use the software.
    12. When you start TIS click on vehicle identification at the top and select you vehicle and enter the last 7 digits of you VIN into the boxes. If the VIN has been entered correctly you should be able to click the arrow at the lower right of the screen and you will get a Vehicle Identification pop-up. If you are unable to get the software to recognize your vehicle, you can also select it by year, model, and options using the menu selections.

Software Compatibility:
    The TIS and ETK are BMW software designed for PCs. They are compatible with Pentium I or greater system using WIN95, WIN98, WIN2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, and Windows XP Pro. Some customers using Macintosh have been able to run the software using PC emulation software; however, the software was not designed for Macintosh, so I do not recommend it.

KSD Software: The KSD software is auto-loading and does not need to be setup of a reader.

NOTE: Until the ETK is installed; the CHANGE button will not function.

FOR MANUAL REQUIRING ADOBE ACROBAT READER

What is Adobe Acrobat?
    Portable Document Format (PDF) is de facto standard for the secure and reliable distribution and exchange of electronic documents and forms around the world, with a ten-year track record. PDF is a universal file format that preserves the fonts, images, graphics, and layout of any source document, regardless of the application and platform used to create it. Adobe PDF files are compact and complete, and can be shared, viewed, and printed by anyone with free Adobe Reader Software. To date, more than 500 million copies of the software have been distributed.

Computer Compatibility:
    Adobe Acrobat is fully compatible with Windows 98/xp/nt/2000, Mac OS, Linux, and Palm OS. If you want to download, for free, the latest version of Adobe Acrobat reader go to:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

How to Install Adobe Acrobat Reader:
    If the manual you purchased requires Acrobat Reader, you can usually find it on the disk. You do not need to install Adobe Acrobat if you have a copy on your computer.
    1. Place CD in your CDROM drive.
    2. Go to MY Computer and double click on the CDROM icon where the disk is located.
    3. Double click on the file Adobe (or open a folder, then click on the file Adobe).
    4. Follow the prompts to set up the Adobe Acrobat Software.

Using a Manual Requiring Adobe Acrobat:
    1. With Adobe Acrobat installed, go to My Computer.
    2. Double click on the CDROM icon, which contains the manual CD.
    3. Click on the file of your choice. You will see a filename ending in pdf.
    4. Enjoy the manual.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy