GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boge w/ Vogtland

Default Boge w/ Vogtland

Is anyone currently running Boge shocks with Vogtland springs? Not the Turbo Gas (ie Sachs) but the OE Boges. I was planning to get the Sachs kit, but I figured I might spring for the Boge with Vogtland to save a little money, also because they come with the lifetime warranty. I know there is a little write-up at bmw4life.com, but if someone has more in-depth info I would reeeaaaaalllly appreciate it!!!!

They will bottom out every pothole U hit , I had regular bilsteins (brand new) and they didn't last more than a few months using Vogtland springs also do I need to mention that the car felt like crap.

I had the same idea to save a few bucks and went with the Bilstein touring, they bottom out every pothole. I would recomend going with the sports for ride and the travel height. Good Luck! The springs are nice and look great.

Ah that's good to know! Interesting advice, thanks.

I've been running stock Boge's on Vogtland springs for several years AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. While it may be true that Bilsteins are a firmer shock/strut, I myself don't like the ride, and THE WARRANTY offered by Bilstein. As for the Bilstein Tourings, they are absolutely nothing like Bilsteins HD or Sports, but more like a Monroe matic. These people who claim to "bottom out" by using stock Boges must understand that anytime you remove 60% of suspension travel, you will induce problems elsewhere, but I drive the FDR Drive daily and have never bottomed out once, not ONCE. That being said, ANY shock will bottom out when you hit a pothole. It's a matter of having the weight of the entire car forced on one individual component instead of being equally distributed amongst all four dampeners. Hell, even the Sachs kit comes with slightly modified Turbo Gas dampeners. Choose what you wish, but I will never suggest a Bilstein product for any of my customers. HTH.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Traian
    Is anyone currently running Boge shocks with Vogtland springs? Not the Turbo Gas (ie Sachs) but the OE Boges. I was planning to get the Sachs kit, but I figured I might spring for the Boge with Vogtland to save a little money, also because they come with the lifetime warranty. I know there is a little write-up at bmw4life.com, but if someone has more in-depth info I would reeeaaaaalllly appreciate it!!!!

1995 540iM Alpine White/ Lt Silver Grey 84k
    1992 535iM Black/Lt Silver Grey 132k
    1990 535iM Glacier Blue/Blue 206k

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-ny-m398
    They will bottom out every pothole U hit , I had regular bilsteins (brand new) and they didn't last more than a few months using Vogtland springs also do I need to mention that the car felt like crap.
    I don't think it's due to the length--it might be due to the bump stops on top. I understand that the 3mm M5 bump stops will alleviate some of this...

1995 540i 6-speed
    3.45 LSD, 17" Style 5's, AC Schnitzer Steering Wheel, Momo shift knob

Default I can guarantee the M5 bump stops are longer than 3mm....

I think you mean the 3mm upper spring pad that you can swap for the 9mm spring pads that are stock on all the cars, including M5.

You need to chop about 1.5" off the stock bump stops to avoid bottoming out on the stock bump stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin8r
    I don't think it's due to the length--it might be due to the bump stops on top. I understand that the 3mm M5 bump stops will alleviate some of this...

Its fun pulling the struts in and out, did that 3 times, then went to the sport billies and then again to cut the internal bumpstops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    I think you mean the 3mm upper spring pad that you can swap for the 9mm spring pads that are stock on all the cars, including M5.

You need to chop about 1.5" off the stock bump stops to avoid bottoming out on the stock bump stop.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Jeff, you had to cut the bumpstops on the Billie Sports? Im about to drop these in my car with Vogtlands and I didnt think I would have to cut the bumpstops.

How much did you cut off?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H

Yup. I stand corrected (darn, I hate to be wrong! )

1995 540i 6-speed
    3.45 LSD, 17" Style 5's, AC Schnitzer Steering Wheel, Momo shift knob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast