GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 540 stalling

Default 540 stalling

Hey guys. Recently i got a code 1213 for lambda and i thought id take a look at it when i had the time. Today the car began to stall on me. The idle would drop to around 400 rpm and the instrument panel lights would dim and brighten with the the rpms dropping. Finally the "parking brake" light would flash and the car died on me. I cranked up the engine again only for it to stall again within 10 seconds with the same symptoms (flickering instrument panel lights and parking brake light.) Does anybody have an idea of whats going on with the car?

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldragon03
    Hey guys. Recently i got a code 1213 for lambda and i thought id take a look at it when i had the time. Today the car began to stall on me. The idle would drop to around 400 rpm and the instrument panel lights would dim and brighten with the the rpms dropping. Finally the "parking brake" light would flash and the car died on me. I cranked up the engine again only for it to stall again within 10 seconds with the same symptoms (flickering instrument panel lights and parking brake light.) Does anybody have an idea of whats going on with the car?
    That code is indeed for the driver's side Oxygen sensor (on an M60, anyway), but what you are describing is more than just the 02 sensor--it shouldn't stall out so much even with a bad sensor. I would check to make sure that your battery is okay first, and that the connections are tight. Then look around the intake area for any signs of leaks, etc. Pull the plugs too and see if any of them are inordinately discolored... We need more symptoms to help diagnose...

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

John's right--I should have clarified--look for vacuum leaks... Hopefully its as simple as John's solution was... But it could be an intake leak under the manifold, or even a valve cover gasket...

1995 540i 6-speed
    3.45 LSD, 17" Style 5's, AC Schnitzer Steering Wheel, Momo shift knob

I have the EXACT same symptoms and it was simply my alternator belt which was snapped and not charging the battery.

Default Hoses and gaskets

I wish it were as simple as a belt.
    All my vacuum hoses were either cracking or starting to crack, or petrified; so were the PCV gaskets and the throttle body gasket. The Florida heat doesn't help with the longevity of rubber.
    I'm renewing everything above the intake gaskets, including the injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by mastermind
    I have the EXACT same symptoms and it was simply my alternator belt which was snapped and not charging the battery.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Sounds like you found it. Good. Get her going bud.

Sorry to hijack a bit, but hey Ramon, noticed you have the EAT chip. I just ordered mine from Mark and have the same car. If you dont mind, can you give me some impressions of the performance? I should have mine this week. Cant wait to try it out.
    Scars are tattoos with better stories.