GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT : E30 used car Oz review

Default OT : E30 used car Oz review

What Aussie media thinks of used E 30s :
    http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...f=7&bg=38&pp=1

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

" The odd crack in the dash"... Most that I've seen have major cracking! Prices quoted are on the high scale I thought except for the iS which is holding it's value well. I'd still like one as a track car.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz
    Our little red 318is was discovered with a brand new dash and a recovered interior including headlining, paintwork was blemish free but it handles like a bucket of ****, interior lights work but not with the door switches, the dash light don't dim/brighten, had 17" wheels it now has BBS replica 15s... damn I love it!
    E30 318iS & BMW K1200LT

I wish I could export all japanese E30 to AUS and NZ. ;-)
    Low Mileage guaranteed.
    Average 7,500 km per year is normal here in Japan.

But I have heard that there are restrictions for imports of used cars. What's the age it becomes cheaper? 20 years old cars and RHD? Is there any online info for that.

And many, many E32 750 and E34, oh yeahhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz
    man you are quick i only saw that this morning myself......... e30? pffffffft why bother when e28s are so plentiful and cheaper.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    I wish I could export all japanese E30 to AUS and NZ. ;-)
    Low Mileage guaranteed... But I have heard that there are restrictions for imports of used cars. What's the age it becomes cheaper? 20 years old cars and RHD? Is there any online info for that.
    Erich, AFAIK 17 is the minimum age unless you go for low-volume compliance which they are making pretty hard.

The "15 Year Rule" allows vehicles older than 15 years to be imported to Australia without restriction. Unfortunately the changes to this rule on 12th May 2005 locked this at December 1988 or 1 January 1989 (I don't know which) and older vehicles only, meaning that we now have a 17 year rule, which will over time become a 30 year rule before the 1988 cut-off starts moving forward again.

So definately only vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 1989, may be imported without restriction, ie. no more 1989+ models.

IMPORT RULES
    The following is a guide for importing vehicles as the Australian government only allows vehicles to be imported if it falls under one of the following categories.

PERSONAL IMPORT
    If you currently live overseas and have had a vehicle registered in your own name for a continuous period of more than the last 12 months, then you are eligible to import your vehicle to Australia when you return to Australia, or become an Australian Citizen.

15 YEAR OLD VEHICLE
    If a vehicles manufacture date is more than 15 years ago, then that vehicle can be imported to Australia without limitation, or restriction.

MOTOR-SPORT
    Motor vehicles can be imported for Motor-sport competition. The vehicle can never be registered for non-motor-sport purposes.

WRECKING
    Vehicles may be imported for wrecking purposes. It is a condition that the vehicle arrives with the body in more than one piece and can never be registered for road use.

LOW VOLUME COMPLIANCE
    Vehicle importation is conditional to it being complied to Australian Design Rules (ADR) immediately it arrives in Australia by a Compliance Plate Holder (CPA). To become a CPA a company must provide evidence to the Federal Office of Road Safety (FORS) that the vehicle meets each ADR. Where the vehicle does not comply with an ADR, the CPA Holder must show how they intend to overcome it, with the use of engineers plans for modifications, or alternative parts etc. This process can take up to 2 years to complete, and only then can that CPA holder comply up to only 25 vehicles per year.

The vehicle must also meet certain criteria at the time of the CPA Application, such as:-
    • it must not be available in Australia from the manufacturer,
    • the vehicle must be considerably different to that offered by the manufacturer,
    • if it is a passanger vehicle, it must not have 4 doors if newer than 1995
    Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

hey shogun what are some good websites for online used car classifieds for japan and of course its okay if they are in Japanese I learnt a bit when i was in high school and should be okay to navigate around.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

sorry, double posting
    Last edited by shogun; 03-07-2006 at 01:40 AM. Reason: double posting

o.k., my best horse in the stable: 11/88 built, first registration 12/1989. 1st owner kept it till mid 1994, since then owned by me. 750iL Dolphin silver grey, black leather seats, all electric stuff as the iL has
    Guaranteed only 129.000 km,
    Known problem: 1 low pressure return hose for Pentosin lets abt max 5 drops out per day at the hose clamp at the reservoir till this Saturday

Engine completely dry, upper and lower oil pan renewed some months ago, trans front and rear seal done some months ago.
    Radiator 3 months old. All coolant hoses replaced recently.
    Car regularly serviced by the owner himself.

Additonal spare parts till the trunk is full can be added.

HOW MUCH ex Tokyo port
    http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/eric.../tokiogall.htm

Just to get an idea how much that would fetch.

@Rob101:
    http://www.carsensor.net/cgi-bin/CS/...HOP=217696001W
    http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/carsensor

NZ has some relatively new"frontal impact regulations which means no e34 or e 30 can be imported into NZ,unless over 20 yrs old,and can then be registered and used as a classic.If you own and use the car overseas for about six months you may have a way around......E32 may fall into same categoryEven the late model airbag e 34s cant be imported anymore
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast