GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with dyno numbers, let see them

Default Anyone with dyno numbers, let see them

From the discussion in the other thread here about a 250hp M30, I'm curious to see what kind of numbers people are getting with their cars.

Stock, modified, whatever let's see what you have (corrected numbers are best of course). List dyno numbers and mods, and if you can link to the graph that would be great.

Thanks.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

lee Guest

Default consideration

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    From the discussion in the other thread here about a 250hp M30, I'm curious to see what kind of numbers people are getting with their cars.

Stock, modified, whatever let's see what you have (corrected numbers are best of course). List dyno numbers and mods, and if you can link to the graph that would be great.

Thanks.
    Maybe you ought to read Steve Dinan's white paper on dyno testing:

http://dinancars.com/html/dtbmw01.html

Edited to sound less like an a-hole.

IMO that article was just Dinan's way of covering their ass if a customer buys something and then doesn't see any gains. Putting a car on a dyno is not the end-all, be-all to seeing what kind of power a car makes, but it's a pretty good tool. This is especially true if you use the same dyno and corrected numbers, you can get an idea of the types of gains a part might make.

I tracked every single mod I did on my Mustang on the dyno and it was quite interesting to see how all the parts worked together, and despite what Dinan says you can use it to judge gains and see what kind of power your car is making.
    Last edited by Craig; 03-12-2004 at 02:35 PM.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

Jim Conforti has spoken out pretty strongly against putting much faith in dyno testing on the OBD-II vehicles as well, due to the adaptation of those DMEs. But I don't think our M30s are sophisticated enough to have the same issues. I'd be interested too! I'd love to do a before and after plot with the EAT chip, but my budget and lack of local dynos will probably prevent that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Project
    Jim Conforti has spoken out pretty strongly against putting much faith in dyno testing on the OBD-II vehicles as well, due to the adaptation of those DMEs. But I don't think our M30s are sophisticated enough to have the same issues. I'd be interested too! I'd love to do a before and after plot with the EAT chip, but my budget and lack of local dynos will probably prevent that.
    True, we're driving some older iron around.

FWIW, my OBD-II Mustang did fine on the dyno (gave numbers about like you'd expect) and it's very common in the Pony Car crowd to get dyno info for each mod. Also, since superchargers are so common dyno-tuning is done quite a bit too.

I'd like to find a copy of a stock chip, as the PO of my car didn't have it anymore (BavAuto chip in place), and do a back to back test.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

lee Guest

Default agree in part....

Edited to sound less like an a-hole.

IMO that article was just Dinan's way of covering their ass if a customer buys something and then doesn't see any gains. Putting a car on a dyno is not the end-all, be-all to seeing what kind of power a car makes, but it's a pretty good tool. This is especially true if you use the same dyno and corrected numbers, you can get an idea of the types of gains a part might make.

I tracked every single mod I did on my Mustang on the dyno and it was quite interesting to see how all the parts worked together, and despite what Dinan says you can use it to judge gains and see what kind of power your car is making.
    I agree in part that you can use a dyno to track, or at least see, if there are any measurable gains you might get from parts added to your car.

However, Dinan does make good some good stuff. First, the car in question in this article is a new (I believe it was a 2002) M5, which has OBD-II. Dinan readily admitted that tuning via software programming produced no noticeable gain as BMW did a good job of maximizing performance via timing and fuel mixture.

Further, most people think "oh, all I need to do to increase power to my car is add a chip, intake and exhaust". Dinan will be the first to tell you that at least for the M5, that is not the way to go. Although he does sell those parts, and yes, it is expensive, like $2000 for a carbon fiber cold air intake, $5400 for hi-flow throttle bodies/velocity stacks and don't forget his $8,000 headers (ouch!), Dinan says the *biggest bang for the buck* for this car is swapping out the differential (3.45 lsd, instead of stock 3.15). At about $2500, it too is not cheap. Then again a Quaife differential from someone like Brett Anderson would actually be *more* expensive ($2750)!

His suspensions are also great, at least for the street, and he does put together a good package. However, despite the expense, alot of people are willing to pay it to get a complete system. Some places even sell his stuff at discount. Heck, my local auto parts store can get Dinan and can sell me stuff 20-25% off of list (which is still high!)

Getting back to his article about developing a dyno that incorporates "procedures necessary to duplicate "real world" conditions and the associated variables", well, alot of it is probably true and does *cover his ass*, but I agree, you still should be able to see some gain....

FWIW, my OBD-II Mustang did fine on the dyno (gave numbers about like you'd expect) and it's very common in the Pony Car crowd to get dyno info for each mod. Also, since superchargers are so common dyno-tuning is done quite a bit too.

I'd like to find a copy of a stock chip, as the PO of my car didn't have it anymore (BavAuto chip in place), and do a back to back test.
    And when you say iron referring to an M30, that's literal!

From what Conforti was saying, it wouldn't be the same for all OBD-II vehicles, so that would make sense on your Mustang, or some of the other OBD-II vehicles I've known about on the dyno. Of course, I can't find his post now, so I could be misinterpreting.

I've got a stock chip you're welcome to borrow, next time you're in Lincoln, NE.

-Armen

My UK non-kat 535m produced 230 bhp(calculated at the fly wheel) after i'd chipped it.Sorry no print out.

Just after i'd had the head ported/flowed along with a schrick cam i took it to the same RR place and it produced 248 bhp.

There may be someone on the forum who will give you a stock chip. If you can't find one and want to own one, I can supply stock chips for $25 USD which includes shipping by regular mail.

Mark
    Last edited by MarkD; 03-13-2004 at 04:29 PM.

I did get a stock chip, and will be doing the dyno test hopefully in April. I talked to Martin about this last weekend, he's got a couple different chips and spare ECUs so hopefully we can get some different ones tested.

Will keep everyone updated.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast