GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine oil pressure

Default engine oil pressure

i had the light come on when i started my 91 535i and then went out almost immediately. also when i stopped car and turned off engine the same light came on and said see owners manual any similar situations out there or suggestions tia

Quote Originally Posted by diamond777
    i had the light come on when i started my 91 535i and then went out almost immediately. also when i stopped car and turned off engine the same light came on and said see owners manual any similar situations out there or suggestions tia
    Mine does it occaissonally. I changed the oil pressure switch (cheap). Still does it occaissonally. I'll be following this thread.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

i forgot that i put in only 5 quarts of oil so it was a little low hmmmmm not coming on now we shall see

oops spoke too soon -i will be replacing that 7 dollar part -the oil pressure switch and we shall see

There are some issues being noted about the check valve in the oil filter housing not working well which can cause this. This check valve is supposed to maintain a volume of oil in the canister when the engine is switched off. When it starts failing, it allows the oil to drain back into the sump. So when you start the car it takes a while to fill back the canister and filter with oil, during this period, the oil light comes on.

You might have to get the valves changed.
    Last edited by Turbo Ready; 03-06-2006 at 10:28 PM.
    BMW, THE ULTIMATE FLYING MACHINE

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
    THANK THE GERMANS, BMW HAS ALL 3

Default Can't replace the valves...

Hi,

The valves are not replaceable. You will have to replace the entire housing to cure a leaky check valve.

Regads,
    Adnan

I would replace oil pressure switch and trace the wiring. If the light went out immediately I don't think you have anything to worry about. Bruno's website mentions about the valve in the filter canister - I would look into that only if after replacing the oil pressure switch and good check up of wiring I found same "problem" persisting...

deleted air conditioning

oil pressure switch onthe way hope it helps car sure runs good though-keeping my fingers crossed thanks to all

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan
    Hi,

The valves are not replaceable. You will have to replace the entire housing to cure a leaky check valve.

Regads,
    Adnan
    Hi Adnan, sure there is no way it can be pressed or milled out? I will pull mine apart soon as I am in the process of doing a complete rebuild to see if it can be done.

I screwed up earlier posting the wrong pic.

Here is the oil canister housing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Turbo Ready; 03-07-2006 at 01:22 PM.
    BMW, THE ULTIMATE FLYING MACHINE

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
    THANK THE GERMANS, BMW HAS ALL 3

Default BTDT, this has been done over and over and the

consensus is that there's no easy way to replace the valve other than the housing. Bruno sell some remote filter adapters to do away with this completely. This issue pops up on the boards every year or so.
    Here's Bruno's page on it

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Ready
    Hi Adnan, sure there is no way it can be pressed or milled out? I will pull mine apart soon as I am in the process of doing a complete rebuild to see if it can be done.

I screwed up earlier posting the wrong pic.

Here is the oil canister housing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast