GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Everyonen comment: 1988 325is project

Default Everyonen comment: 1988 325is project

hi, im trying to get a 325is, or 318is, but what iv found is a 1988 325is about a half hour away from me, guy wants 600 obo, the problem is it was hit in the rear but i dont know how bad. he insists "its fixable" say it will need rear qtr panel and its got a large dent in the door. say it will also need a trailing arm for rear suspension.
    it has:
    new breaks
    new clutch
    new drive shaft
    new radiator
    new plugs
    new wires
    clean int.
    red with black int
    very little rust
    newer paint
    and timing belt in 2001.

im looking for a car to fix, not one to part our, so what do you think, im going to look at it in 15, and will post pics tonight so you can give me a better opinion.

thanks

kyle

How many miles? What does the rest of the body look like?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Hows the drift shaft after the rear-ender? BMW recommends 60,000kms/40,000mls between timing belt changes (also change tensioner) so I'd do that pronto. Do they salt the roads in Detroit? These things just don't rust in OZ so it seemed a bit strange to me. M20 2.5 in an E30 sounds like lots of fun. The iS is still going for big money out here.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

well, it was in rough condition, hit pretty bad on driver side, would probally drive it it had a new trailing arm, but it would need a new rear qtr panel, and a new drivers door. seats were in good condition, black leather recaros. ran good, had a solid idel. and the pas side of the car looked good, very little rust, non on door bottems, paint in the areas not hit was good if not slightly faded. grill was messed up, but i have extra grill pieces, would need new driver headlights, though i have those also. it had a dent in the frontmost corner of the fender. windows dident work, obc dident turn on and it had not radio. i offered him 200-300 for it and his parts car, which was a 4 door that was all there but dident run and paint was horrible. and he laughed at me then quickly offered me 400 for them. i walked away but am guessing ill get a call soon, but im wondering if its somthing i want to get into. hummmmm, ill post pics later tonight.

thanks for the input

kyle

for like 700-900 you should be able to get one without damage, maybe just a blown engine or something and if ur looking for a project your time would be much more wisely spent on rebuilding an engine than trying to fix all the things that go wrong in an accident. just my .02 cents

Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

I tend to agree with ericcamaro. I found that restoring body work was expensive and tiresome but I wanted to get it done before I go to the good part-the engine. I ended up giving in. You should have M suspension in the iS though (or maybe just an OZ thing).
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia