GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Service Lights Going Out After 4k ???

Default Service Lights Going Out After 4k ???

Hi all

I have a 318is coupe 1998

My service lights on my car are going out every 4000 miles, when should be around 10000, ive had the car about 6 month and it had a full service and the lights re-set when i brought it. the service lights went down 1 by 1 quicly and told me i needed a service. i checked the oil in the car and it was like new. the car had done less than 4k, ive been told you can change the time it takes for the lights to drop and have it set at a higher millage before your lights go out, like i say i reckon probally 10k between each service

Can anyone tell me how i change this on my car please so instead of all my service lights going out after 4k they all go out after around 10k.

What do i need to do to change this ?

(think ive repeated my self too much in this..lol)

all
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I wonder if the car has a battery on the insturment cluster board the same as my '88 Cabrio did? If so, that could be the problem. Once the lithium battery fails to hold a charge it has to be replaced, and the service lights were the indication that it needed to be replaced. On the '88 it was a fairly easy DYI job if you can solder. I'm just not sure if the newer models still have the battery on the board or not.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

Default I would guess that you do a lot of extreme driving , it calculates when those lights

go off based on number of engine starts, ambient temp, driving duration, speed , rpm ,engine temp, etc etc... It will adjust the light interval automatically based on driving conditions. If you do primarily highway driving without a lot of starts and stops and the engine staying on for long periods of time then the interval will be longer. If you do a lot of city driving , many starts and stops then the interval will be shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by magicsid
    Hi all

I have a 318is coupe 1998

My service lights on my car are going out every 4000 miles, when should be around 10000, ive had the car about 6 month and it had a full service and the lights re-set when i brought it. the service lights went down 1 by 1 quicly and told me i needed a service. i checked the oil in the car and it was like new. the car had done less than 4k, ive been told you can change the time it takes for the lights to drop and have it set at a higher millage before your lights go out, like i say i reckon probally 10k between each service

Can anyone tell me how i change this on my car please so instead of all my service lights going out after 4k they all go out after around 10k.

What do i need to do to change this ?

(think ive repeated my self too much in this..lol)

all

I do drive thru the city but theres not alot of stop and starts, only a few miles a day to work and back. have i been miss informed then and there is no way of seting the time intervals ?

Thanks

Default Sorry , i told you wrong, its only based on these

3 factors. As far as i'm aware its not something that you can alter though

Quote Originally Posted by magicsid
    I do drive thru the city but theres not alot of stop and starts, only a few miles a day to work and back. have i been miss informed then and there is no way of seting the time intervals ?

Thanks