GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 540i tranny whine

Default 540i tranny whine

I had the fluid and filter changed last week and now have a whine at the top of the shift points in first and second. I asked a mechanic buddy at work and he told me that when you flush out the gunk, it sometimes reveals weakness in the eletronics (solenoids). He mentioned also that I would not be able to tell which ones were bad until the warning light came on and I could use an OBC2 to tell me which ones were reporting faults.

Since the whine is only in first and second and I plan on installing the valve body update kit on the ZF when spring gets here, should I go ahead and replace the first and second solenoids when I install the updaate kit?
    Last edited by zhandax; 03-03-2006 at 09:07 AM.
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

Default Whoever changed your oil and filter used an aftermarket filter and not

the updated part from bmw, here's the bulletin regarding that whine

Quote Originally Posted by zhandax
    I had the fluid and filter changed last week and now have a whine at the top of the shift points in first and second. I asked a mechanic buddy at work and he told me that when you flush out the gunk, it sometimes reveals weakness in the eletronics (solenoids). He mentioned also that I would not be able to tell which ones were bad until the warning light came on and I could use an OBC2 to tell me which ones were reporting faults.

Since the whine is only in first and second and I plan on installing the valve body update kit on the ZF when spring gets here, should I go ahead and replace the first and second solenoids when I install the updaate kit?

Ditto!

Default Here's the rest of that bulletin

Thank you. Is it the same on the 5HP30 that I have? I have read about sucking noises from a poorly-fitting O-ring, but what I have is more of a whine and at the "just before shift" points in first and second gear. This is a Febi filter that I bought before I saw the posts about using the OEM filter.
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

Thanks also to 632 Regal. I guess I should have read my email instead of freaking out about all those duplicate posts.

Default Yours is the same transmission, bmw no longer goes by the old

nomenclature of 5hp30

Quote Originally Posted by zhandax
    Thank you. Is it the same on the 5HP30 that I have? I have read about sucking noises from a poorly-fitting O-ring, but what I have is more of a whine and at the "just before shift" points in first and second gear. This is a Febi filter that I bought before I saw the posts about using the OEM filter.

So it sounds like I should do the valve body update with a factory filter + O-ring and see if the whine goes away? I have not found a price on the solenoids. If I can get them (fairly) cheaply, would it make sense to replace them for insurance?

Damn, Bill you can post this faster than I can hit the refresh button.
    Last edited by zhandax; 03-03-2006 at 10:05 AM.

My tech mentioned that the campaign stickers on the door may indicate that the valve body had already been upgraded for the teflon ball problem. How can I tell if that particular campaign did or did not include the valve redesign?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast