GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: An easy strut bar question

Default An easy strut bar question

Now that the dust is settling...Mike Holbrook, Gayle, and anyone else with a strut bar installed: Are there any interference problems between the bar and the hood insulation? I remember reading (a long time ago) that the hood insulation had to modified to clear the bar. I don't know if that applied to E34's though. How's your installation?

zmuff--1989 535i 5-speed--17" E39 Style 32's--JC chip--UUC Short Shift--
    --Racing Dynamics Springs & Sways--Bilsteins--Yorktown, VA

Default It depends on what engine and what strut bar you have....

on my S38 M5, the RD strut bar compresses the hood insulation a bit and the bar gets rubbed by it, but for the most part the fitment is fine.

Ed has an RD bar on his 535 and I believe he was okay as well in a similar manner. He has removed his hood insulation all together though. We can take some pics tomorrow.

I think if anything the strut bar will put some pressure on the insulation which will compress and then put some pressure on the hood. Hood insulation is also much different on the various models as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zmuff
    Now that the dust is settling...Mike Holbrook, Gayle, and anyone else with a strut bar installed: Are there any interference problems between the bar and the hood insulation? I remember reading (a long time ago) that the hood insulation had to modified to clear the bar. I don't know if that applied to E34's though. How's your installation?

Quote Originally Posted by zmuff

Mine was on the car when I bought it but I haven't noticed any problems with the hood installation. It looks in stock condition to me.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler