GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17" rims (8"wide) - how wide can I go?

Default 17" rims (8"wide) - how wide can I go?

I couldn't find exactly what I needed in the archives so I thougt I'd throw it out here. I have a set of BBS Bugatti 17"rims that are 8" wide. How wide can/should I go with the tires? I have a 1994 525i. I bought the car off a friend and he said he had 255's all the way around and was happy with that. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by deanbesaw
    I couldn't find exactly what I needed in the archives so I thougt I'd throw it out here. I have a set of BBS Bugatti 17"rims that are 8" wide. How wide can/should I go with the tires? I have a 1994 525i. I bought the car off a friend and he said he had 255's all the way around and was happy with that. Any suggestions?
    This is a good reference link for wheel-width-to-tire-size reference.

http://www.kumhousa.com/Products/Ptn...D=1&PtnID=KU21

You want to match your car's grip to its power output. If it's got too much or too little tire for its power, it won't be fun to drive.

255 is way too wide for the 2.5's power output. I'd say 235 max, and 225 is better. I have 235 on all four corners with my 17" rims and they're great: tons of grip but not so much that the car feels underpowered. And my car is more powerful than yours (albeit slightly).

Don't get caught up in getting the widest boots possible. The car will be much more fun if you keep your car's grip and power in line with each other.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Default There are also limits......

depending on the offset of the wheels with potential rubbing points both in front and in the rear....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    depending on the offset of the wheels with potential rubbing points both in front and in the rear....
    Oh yeah, true. I did try to fit 245s on the front of my car but they rubbed.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Default There are a lot of differences btwn tires...

a 235/45/17 in one make/model may not have the same physical width as a 235/45/17 in another make/model. Things like shoulder design and rim protector bars that stick out wider may cause rubbing. Sometimes you never really know until you get a tire on the wheel and the wheel on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 535i
    Oh yeah, true. I did try to fit 245s on the front of my car but they rubbed.

Thanks to everyone for replying. Those were helpful comments....some things I didn't think about. Also, I was mistaken, these rims had 245's on them....not 255's. I will probably go with 235's on all 4 or 235's in the front and 245's in the rear. I am leaning towards keeping them the same so I can rotate them. By the way, I will have to post a picture when I get them. I recently had a body kit installed. I already have a Eibach lowering kit with Bilstein Sports, EAT chip, Racing Dynamics strut bar, and tinted windows. Along with these chromed BBS Bugatti wheels, that pretty much completes the package.....for now. :-) Thanks again.

Default 245/45-17 all around should work....

but again, due to slight difference in various tire make/model physical dimensions and your setup, *may* rub in front.....

Can't hurt to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by deanbesaw
    Thanks to everyone for replying. Those were helpful comments....some things I didn't think about. Also, I was mistaken, these rims had 245's on them....not 255's. I will probably go with 235's on all 4 or 235's in the front and 245's in the rear. I am leaning towards keeping them the same so I can rotate them. By the way, I will have to post a picture when I get them. I recently had a body kit installed. I already have a Eibach lowering kit with Bilstein Sports, EAT chip, Racing Dynamics strut bar, and tinted windows. Along with these chromed BBS Bugatti wheels, that pretty much completes the package.....for now. :-) Thanks again.

don't stagger tire sizes if the wheels are not staggerred... pointless.

225 sounds good, 235 max.
    I have 255 on the rear of my 540, so no regular powered 525 should go that far.
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

I have 245s on 8in wide rims in the front and 255s on 9in rims in the rear. The front doesn't rub while spinning, I do see a rub from the dirt on the strut houseing b/c of installing the wheel. Add to what Scott was saying about tires, we found that the rotor hats can have different thicknesses. So even if you have the same set-up as someone else: same tires, wheels, brakes, except for the rotors are different brands one may rub while the other does not. This contributes to the fitment issue too.

Dinan did install 255s on 9in rims all around as part of their 3.9L stroker M5. They used 10mm spacers in the front. Not sure if you want to do that or if you need to.

If you have the standard stock fitments, 8in wide wheels with 20mm offset, then 235s all the way around is the best option. You can go with 245/45 17, all around, but that increases the circumference, leaves more tire shoulder (some people don't like the look of the extra rubber), more shoulder rubber so it takes bumps better, and depending on the actual tire width, may rub the front strut housing.
    Brandon J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast