GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Starter problem

Default Starter problem

I bought this 525im 3 years ago. Every once in awhile during the winter when the temp would drop below freezing overnight, when I tried to start the car, the starter would not crank. I hear a click like it is engaging but doesn't turn. Battery is in good shape. If I keep turning the key off and then on again to crank position eventually it starts normally and then works fine every time after that. This winter it has taken longer (more on and off key turning) to get the starter to engage and crank. This morning it only took 3 tries and then worked fine all day and night. It seems to get worse the colder it gets outside. Last week it took about 20 tries before it worked when it was about 15 F outside. When it is above freezing, no problem.

Do I need a new starter or is there some connections I should be checking?

Sorry I haven't been around the boards in a long time, I haven't had any problems with the car in quite awhile but just started coming back around recently just to read the posts from everyone. Lotsa new people.

So anyway, the car has been fantastic for the 3 years I've had it. No major problems, in the last year replaced the water pump, thermostat, belts, hoses. motor mounts and O2 sensor. I replaced all 6 coils (got them cheap from BMA) shortly after I put the EAT chip in 2 years ago, you just can't go wrong with an EAT chip. I highly recommend it to anyone considering it. Everything else on my car is stock except for the Borbet wheels which I like because they are easy to clean.

I recently test drove a '98 528im (E39?) but didn't like it as much as my old E34, just didn't feel as good, the E34 just is a better made car in my humble opinion, alot more solid feeling. I don't think I'll ever buy a new car again, as long as there is a supply of decent E34's around, I'd buy another one when this one gets too many miles on it, which might be never. I still have original clutch and exhaust. I've never seen an exhaust system last so long.

Everyone here has been a great source of info since I got the car. Thanks a ton and keep up the great work!

All the best,

KenB

I have seen similar problems on some of my other vehicles I have owned. When the problem was on a ford taurus we had, it was due to a grounding problem with the solenoid. IMHO I would check all major grounds and wires going to the starter before going any further with diagnosis.

Corey Horton
    1992 BMW 535i

sounds like it could be the starter selinoid or similar, personally I would get a new starter and be done. Clean all the connections if corrosion has set in while down in there.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks for the replies, I will check connections but be ready to invest in a new starter.