GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Removing the Fuel Tank

Default Removing the Fuel Tank

Im finally getting around to doing something about the broken vent spigot on my fuel tank. My solution - found a used tank for $150.

I need to remove the existing so that I can compare to the replacement and of course install the replacement.

I know about the fuel pump, drain plug, etc.
    Any advice on possible surprises while Im involved in this task?

TIA
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

If the car has been subjected to snow and salt, I'd be surprised if that drain bolt will come out....heck, I'll be surprised if it comes out at all.

Gas tanks are a pain in the butt. We just got one of those tank draining machines, which is a relief. Last one I did had about 6 gallons of gas in it. I lowered it with the trans jack and then awkwardly filled two gas cans with what came out of the fill pipe. And, I like to think that I'm a reasonably strong individual....it took a lot of effort to drain that tank and keep the fuel going into the can and not on the floor. Of course, I was doing this on my own.

Now would be the time to get a good rubberized coating or paint on that tank. It's not a job you want to have to do again.

best, whit

new rubber o-rings for the fuel pump deal, new tank straps? Inspect them and see if they look real rusty and replace if they do.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The last time I did a fuel tank repair, I had all the tools I ever needed and then some, at the time, I worked aboard a reserve ship that never left the dock. The ship was a vehicle carrier and had a ramp, and I would drive the car onto the ship and do my thing, I even put in for overtime as I began to work on everyones cars.
    Since I don't have that luxury anymore, I have to tough it out the old fashioned way.

Thanks for the info, very much helpful.
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

A while back I got one like this to drain/transfer fuel tanks ... works just fine .. and its safe
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SYPHON-TUBE-PU...QQcmdZViewItem
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com