GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BillB to the rescue!

Default BillB to the rescue!

Bill was gracious enough to come out to my house yesterday and help me diagnose the prioblem with the coolant leak....Water Pump! He has volunteered more of his time to help me put a new one in tonight. I'll take picturs of the install process and post them here along with the pictures I took of his car and my car.

Thanks again Bill, your help is greatly,greatly appreciated.

Michael
    Mustbr8kfree
    1995 525i, Shadowline,EAT chip, Alpine

Water pump on M50 is very easy - you will have no issues! Good luck.

Default No problem...been there, done that...but check this out...

I dashed up to Leith BMW today at lunch to get the pump for tonight's repair work. Please tell me my eyes are tricking me...

That's a glass-filled polyphenylene sulfide...hope it can hold up to the temps.

This is an emergency fitment, and BMW does offer 2-year parts and labor, lifetime parts. So Michael, I think we can safely install this pump on your car; just tuck the receipt in the car somewhere that it won't get lost.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bill B.
    95 525i

ugh

Default Not to get real picky or anything but that looks like it says

pps gf40 which is glass fiber reinforced rather than glass filled pps gf40 retains its mechanical properties up to 425F so if you get it that hot and haven't barbecued the rest of the motor then you better replace the pump...

Quote Originally Posted by billb
    I dashed up to Leith BMW today at lunch to get the pump for tonight's repair work. Please tell me my eyes are tricking me...

That's a glass-filled polyphenylene sulfide...hope it can hold up to the temps.

This is an emergency fitment, and BMW does offer 2-year parts and labor, lifetime parts. So Michael, I think we can safely install this pump on your car; just tuck the receipt in the car somewhere that it won't get lost.

Default Yup, that's what I MEANT to type...glass-fiber reinforced...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    pps gf40 which is glass fiber reinforced rather than glass filled pps gf40 retains its mechanical properties up to 425F so if you get it that hot and haven't barbecued the rest of the motor then you better replace the pump...
    -you'd think I'd have caught my typo; we are, after all, in the molding business here (just not with PPS).

Yes, I think it will do fine; I was just shocked to see plastic again
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Default Yeah, ford's using it in the duratec motor water pumps and they are seeing

lotsa water pump failures/cooked engines at about 60k miles on the various models with the duratec motor in them.

Quote Originally Posted by billb
    -you'd think I'd have caught my typo; we are, after all, in the molding business here (just not with PPS).

Yes, I think it will do fine; I was just shocked to see plastic again

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    lotsa water pump failures/cooked engines at about 60k miles on the various models with the duratec motor in them.
    But I'm okay at least for a little while, right?
    Mustbr8kfree
    1995 525i, Shadowline,EAT chip, Alpine

Default Yep, you'll be okay for a while

Quote Originally Posted by 1995 525i
    But I'm okay at least for a little while, right?
    Willing to bet the one in your car is plastic., based on how tight that fan clutch is on there.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Default ARGGHHH!!!! The dealer gave me an E39 waterpump!!!

I specifically gave them the VIN GK48410. Got the new pump, didn't have the old one out yet for reference. The hole pattern is the same, but the WEEP HOLE placement is interfering with the pulse ring.

The correct part number for this vintage of car should be 11 51 7 527 799. They gave me 11 51 7 527 910. Still for a 525, just the wrong series.

We'll see what sort of discount they give us when I show up with this one...

Sorry Michael!!
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast