GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: oil in coolent bottle????

Default oil in coolent bottle????

hi all..wondering if any one can help or advise... 91 525i automatic

i have noticed the car over the last few days delays in pick- up of gear esp noticable when slowing down and pulling away it has abt a 5 sec delay in sececting the gear i thought it may be low transmission fluid ..so i went looking for the dip stick..cannot locate it ... how do i check fluid levels ??
    i was checking the car etc and when i opened up the coolent bottle i saw it was full with oil.. i checked the engine oil lev etc.. its is not low it`s exact on max lev checked the filler cap on the engine to see if their was any froth or signs of water all clear.. the oil is a light brown color no warning lights have displayed any probs ie low coolent levels/ oil prob`s etc i checked the warning panel and it all looks to be in working order...confused ...can any one advise

Sounds like you have a blown head gasket. Have it towed to a shop familiar with BMW's. Driving it might make things worse like warping the head, (more $$$).

Not completely sure but, I don't think cars from '91 on have did sticks. Let the shop you take it to check that too.

fair amount of oil on the underside (passenger) only..cant locate any filler point for transmission fluid..what would cause a delay in gear selection low fluid or more serious?

Default The dipsticks were eliminated on the M50 engine in late 1991

I have 2, 1991 525i's (one made in Nov. of 1990 and the other in April of 1991) and they both have a dipstick for the auto tranny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. BILL
    Sounds like you have a blown head gasket. Have it towed to a shop familiar with BMW's. Driving it might make things worse like warping the head, (more $$$).

Not completely sure but, I don't think cars from '91 on have did sticks. Let the shop you take it to check that too.