Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am in the market for a mint (properly maintained with service records) 5 series. I have between $6K - $8K to spend and I need help with deciding on the best deal for my money.

I have been reading some old posts and I thought I saw a parked post on "All you need to know before buying a 5 series" but I can't find it anymore.

My mechanic mentioned that BMW's are known for putting a hole in your pocket. Is this true? I do not have a lot of disposable income to sink into repairs after buying the car.

What kind of maintenance am I looking at on a 8-10 year old bmw?

Which model years are less problematic within my price range? I am open to either the E34 or E39. I've read a bit on the different type engines and issues. Now I'm even more confused due to differing opinions. Which engines/year models are the ones to avoid? How will I know if a car has the engine to avoid?

Apart from the radiator and water pump replacement, what else should I be looking for in previous service records?

If there is already a post that has answered all my questions, please point me to it, and I apologise for the re-post.

Thank you for all your help.