GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: car back from dealer.... I can see paint runs

Default car back from dealer.... I can see paint runs

about 4 weeks ago, someone backed into me in a prarking lot, took a chip out of my bumper, and also put a little dent in the drivers quarter panel.

took it to the dealer, and got the car back today.... everything looks pretty good good... but when I got up close and looked at the quarter panel where they repainted, you an see some pain runs... they look like what you get if you apply too much spray paint, and the paint starts to run....

I don't think you could notice it while standing, but if you look close at it, its pretty obious... and when that area gets dirty, it may become more noticable...

I'm inclined to take it back and have them fix it, however the insurance company which was paying for everything was paying for my rental car... I suppose I could talk the insurance in paying for the rental again, but I'm not too excited about driving another dodge stratus, and would be more interested in driving a loaner from the dealer (who messed up the paint job)...

thoughts?
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Take it back. DEMAND a loaner from the dealer. They f*cked up.

Failing that, rent a car yourself. Either way, get them to fix it for free.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 535i
    Take it back. DEMAND a loaner from the dealer. They f*cked up.

Failing that, rent a car yourself. Either way, get them to fix it for free.
    Yeah.. they should fix it on their dime....

you want runny paint and I can do it in my backyard...
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Quote Originally Posted by dacoyote
    you want runny paint and I can do it in my backyard...

if it comes down to it... I'm going to use that line

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJCaputo
    if it comes down to it... I'm going to use that line
    thx...
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

They should take care of it for you without too much trouble. It's a very simple fix that you could easily wait for if you have an hour or so. They just need to nib it, sand it and buff it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobK
    They should take care of it for you without too much trouble. It's a very simple fix that you could easily wait for if you have an hour or so. They just need to nib it, sand it and buff it.
    ditto -

Had the same thing happen to me, that's exactly what they did to my car.

just curious... was the car "freshly washed" when you picked it up? it's a common thing a lot of body shops do so that you don't notice imperfections in a car when you come pick it up cuz it's all covered in drops
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

as it turns out, it wasn't a paint run, it was a clear coat run... they were able to buff it out while I waited (about 30 mins)....

When the guy brought the car back around, I checked it out, and I could see that the run was gone.... but that was inside their shop bay, not much sun lighting.

I drove away, and when I had a chance to check things out in direct sunlight I noticed that there is a small scratch on the bumper right below where the drivers tail light meets the quarter pannel... I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before I took it in... the scratch is about 1cm long, and not very deep, but I can run my finger nail over it and my fingernail sinks in the scratch (but not more then a milimeter or two)....

So.... I'm guessing that they got a little careless with the buffer, buffing out the extra wax, and hit the bumper. So much for a brand new un-scratched bumper.

So... I told em that I'd try to stop by tomorrow (tuesday) to have them take a look at it..... The scratch is really harmless, but still... it shouldn't be there.... Guess I'll have to wait to hear what they have to say about it.

and I can still see a change in the reflection off the car where the quarter panel was dented in... which tells me that they didn't pull the dent out and restore things to perfection.... but my car is far from perfect, so I might let that slide a little.

when I took my car in from the flying road sign they did a good job with the dent and repair but there were some sand marks they failed to get (only I can see them up close) I guess its a luck of the draw when it comes to body repairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJCaputo
    as it turns out, it wasn't a paint run, it was a clear coat run... they were able to buff it out while I waited (about 30 mins)....

When the guy brought the car back around, I checked it out, and I could see that the run was gone.... but that was inside their shop bay, not much sun lighting.

I drove away, and when I had a chance to check things out in direct sunlight I noticed that there is a small scratch on the bumper right below where the drivers tail light meets the quarter pannel... I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before I took it in... the scratch is about 1cm long, and not very deep, but I can run my finger nail over it and my fingernail sinks in the scratch (but not more then a milimeter or two)....

So.... I'm guessing that they got a little careless with the buffer, buffing out the extra wax, and hit the bumper. So much for a brand new un-scratched bumper.

So... I told em that I'd try to stop by tomorrow (tuesday) to have them take a look at it..... The scratch is really harmless, but still... it shouldn't be there.... Guess I'll have to wait to hear what they have to say about it.

and I can still see a change in the reflection off the car where the quarter panel was dented in... which tells me that they didn't pull the dent out and restore things to perfection.... but my car is far from perfect, so I might let that slide a little.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy