GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premium fuel - what the media in Oz think.....

Default Premium fuel - what the media in Oz think.....

What the great unwashed in Oz are being told :

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/stories/2041.asp

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

my assumption in the US is that the higher refined higher octane fuels are cleaner, this is what I read and I might not be correct but the majority of articles led me to believe this.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    my assumption in the US is that the higher refined higher octane fuels are cleaner, this is what I read and I might not be correct but the majority of articles led me to believe this.
    I think so too, which is why I run the highest octane I can in my M20 - I believe it contains injector cleaners and therefore probably pays for itself.

I had never thought to justify it due to extra mileage - interesting idea !

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

the higher the octane, technically, the further you should be able to drive on that fuel
    this guy in the article doesn't know wtf he is talking about, higher octane fuels usually have a lower heating value per unit mass (kJ/kg). So if your car doesn't have knock sensors and high compression ratio (for example e34 535i) generally they will have worse mileage for a higher octane. but that said regular unleaded is a poorer quality fuel, but "technically" you should get less mileage if your engine doesn't have knock sensors.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    this guy in the article doesn't know wtf he is talking about, higher octane fuels usually have a lower heating value per unit mass (kJ/kg). So if your car doesn't have knock sensors and high compression ratio (for example e34 535i) generally they will have worse mileage for a higher octane. but that said regular unleaded is a poorer quality fuel, but "technically" you should get less mileage if your engine doesn't have knock sensors.
    My 1989 Toyota Tarago 2.2 Multipont (no knock sensor) ran worse on premium that standard ULP. It felt like it was down about 10% on power and I reckon 20% on economy.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Our chipped cars require a minimum of premimum unleaded. I'm under the impression that 98 RON fuels have better detergents in the fuel to help the engine remain cleaner. With cars without an knock sensor, the cars performance will not improve with an octane increase (it will decrease the chance of detonation though) and I haven't noticed any milage increases or decreases. I just try and run 98 RON whereever possible.

I run a minimum 95 RON. The handbook says 91 RON minimum. Why? Because I feel better about it. I've done no testing so I'm probably a sucker.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

I dont know much about the fuel except high octane fuel was invented for high compression to stop knocking as spoken of here. So if you dont have high compression you are wasting your money on the stuff. Also for a real life experiance I got rid of a 1997 WRX last year. Good little car, so when I got it I ran it on the premium stuff the whole time I had it - excpet the last couple of months. I changed because we had a huge fuel spike in price at the time and so one day I put in the cheapest stuff available. Anyway it turns out the car got an easy 50km more per tank and up to 80 and occasioanlly around 100km. I could not believe it so of course thats all I used from then on, so I find it a hard sell for me to use it on the BMW. I doube these tough older engines would notice.
    1990 BMW 535i Exec

i do ussually run 91 ron day to day but when ever I anticipate some sprited driving i throw in 95 Ron.On 96 which has been phased out i used to get slightly better economy and it felt "nicer"
    Gone but not forgotten

Bo,
    I forgot to tell you how much I liked the look of your colour coded bumpers and trim. I always thought that colour coding was odd but in the flesh it looks cool!
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast