GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DRL question, US spec 1993 525iT in Canada

Default DRL question, US spec 1993 525iT in Canada

Hi everyone! Great website!
    Just imported 1993 525iT from the states. Sorry for missing info in my profile, I'll update it this weekend. I need to install DRL relay. I have the relay, called the dealer and was told they rewire light switch for $ 250, they don't even install DRL relay.
    ???
    Problem is nearest dealer is 500 miles away... Can anyone help? I know where LKM is, fuses are labeled, not relays.. All those relays look alike.
    Thanks

Jack, Thompson MB 1993 525iT, 1990 300ZXTT

I found this in my car behind the driver's kickpanel, covered by a rubber insulating sleeve. I suspect it is the DRL coding device since the headlights don't work if it is unplugged:

If nothing else, I'd be interested to see one from a US car for comparison.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Default The description on the etm calls is a drl coding diode, the

US cars don't have this just the drl circuit on the canadian cars... it looks like quite a few other things are different on the light circuit for the canadian car too..

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    I found this in my car behind the driver's kickpanel, covered by a rubber insulating sleeve. I suspect it is the DRL coding device since the headlights don't work if it is unplugged:

If nothing else, I'd be interested to see one from a US car for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    US cars don't have this just the drl circuit on the canadian cars... it looks like quite a few other things are different on the light circuit for the canadian car too..
    And I was just hoping there was a different module in the US cars. The module has alternate locations for diodes, fuelling my curiosity.

I'd like to disable the DRLs on my car and use a pair of aux lights or the fog lights instead. The way DRL was done on the E34 lights all of the instruments and other marker lights causing premature burn-out and extra load on the alternator. Makes the OBC display dimmer as well, pretty dumb - you sometimes can't see the display during daylight hours.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

turn the dimmer up, thats what I have to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    you sometimes can't see the display during daylight hours.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default hm,...complicated........

I was led to believe that I only had to swap high beams relay with a DRL relay. I have a DRL relay, but I am not sure how to go about it. I have no idea which relay is which in the fuse box, I am not sure whether DRL goes into an empty socket or replaces another relay. Winnipeg dealer can't help, they tell me to bring the car in for a switch rewire.
    All I need is to wire the car so lights come on with the ignition key on. After the inspection I'll undo it. Any ideas? Thanks

Anthony: I'll take some pictures on saturday so we could see the differences

Default Your high beam relay is part of the lkm which is that big relay thats the length of

the relay box. It incorporates numerous relays not just the high beam relay.

Quote Originally Posted by aviatorb747
    I was led to believe that I only had to swap high beams relay with a DRL relay. I have a DRL relay, but I am not sure how to go about it. I have no idea which relay is which in the fuse box, I am not sure whether DRL goes into an empty socket or replaces another relay. Winnipeg dealer can't help, they tell me to bring the car in for a switch rewire.
    All I need is to wire the car so lights come on with the ignition key on. After the inspection I'll undo it. Any ideas? Thanks

hi Jack,

Having brought my M5 in a couple of years ago I was also faced with converting it to DRL. I think if you use the BMW method you need an extra wiring harness and some relays.

I did the same thing with a 25 cent wiring clip behind the headlight switch in the dash. Pull the switch out and use a wire to cross figure out what wire you need to connect to power to run the low beams as soon as the key is turned ... I used it like this for a couple of months with no problems then removed it. The guys at Canadian Tire didn't seem to care one way or another whether it was done.

hth,

Dave Menheere

Default Think there is a simple way to turn on headlights ...

with the key to Run (or start, not in Accy).

Pull out light switch (see picture) and locate Green/Blue wire and Yellow wire. If you connect them you will have headlights on (low beams) as long as you have key in run or start.

Green / Blue wire go straight to Fuse F2, and Yellow wire go to LKM pin 3 (signal to turn on Low beams) and to High beams lever to allow high beams if lever is operated (flash is always available).

Javier
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast