GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken ignition switch, or Mark's chip?

Default Broken ignition switch, or Mark's chip?

1990 525 automatic:
    Ignition switch turns just enough to release steering lock, but no further. Not even to position 1. Am I correct that this is some sort of mechanical interlock problem? What is involved? (I tried wiggling the key, the steering wheel, and the shifter in every conceivable combination)

Of course it doesn't look good to my wife that this happened on the very first outing after installing new EAT chip (45 miles away)(she had to come get me)(car is being towed back in). She wasn't convinced I needed a chip in the first place and now she thinks the poor car shut down because it must be feeling violated with a new chip inside!

Any and all confirmations that the new chip has nothing to do with the ignition switch will also be much appreciated. Thanks for any help.

It does sound like a mechanical problem. Although I'm not sure if this helps but, on older MB automatics, they have something called a "neutral safety switch" which causes the EXACT same symptoms as yours. Basically what happens is that the shifter sensor thinks it's still in drive (even if the transmission isn't) and prevents the car from starting. The ignition locks out as well.

I don't know if 'matic Bimmers have this as well, but it might be worth a shot.

Another test, is to try to reinstall your old chip... maybe your mate is right!

Quote Originally Posted by kjbcpa
    1990 525 automatic:
    Ignition switch turns just enough to release steering lock, but no further. Not even to position 1. Am I correct that this is some sort of mechanical interlock problem? What is involved? (I tried wiggling the key, the steering wheel, and the shifter in every conceivable combination)

Of course it doesn't look good to my wife that this happened on the very first outing after installing new EAT chip (45 miles away)(she had to come get me)(car is being towed back in). She wasn't convinced I needed a chip in the first place and now she thinks the poor car shut down because it must be feeling violated with a new chip inside!

Any and all confirmations that the new chip has nothing to do with the ignition switch will also be much appreciated. Thanks for any help.
    Hi Ken,

sorry to hear about the problem with the ignition switch. This can not be caused by the chip, but the chip can cause tires to wear faster than usual.

How was it for those 45 miles?

Mark

the steering lock/ignition switch is broken internally
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Unregistered Guest

Default Amazing People

It never ceases to amaze me over the general level of stupidity of some people - the key doesnt turn properly.... - how could this possibly be related to an engine management chip upgrade.

other people asking wheres the fuse box...its a car - its hardly the Taj Mahal - take a look around...wheres the battery....lord its a miracle it doesnt need one...oh its there under the seat...

Default Amazing reply

What a dickhead? Do you know all about everything?

All Hail the bimmer god!! Bow before the Unregistered Guest who knows more than EVERYONE IN THE WORLD!!!

*bows deeply before ending his sarcastic rant*

Default Down with ANTHROPOMORPHISM! (It's just NASTY!)

And your wife should be ashamed of herself, and you should be ashamed of yourself for listening to her. I suggest you punish her by requiring her to do all future oil changes!

Quote Originally Posted by kjbcpa
    1990 525 automatic:

Unregistered Guest

Default Its called learning people

You learn not by asking the answer but by looking for the answer....

Default someone else once asked me if the chip caused...

his radiator to blow. I had just installed the chip in his 1993 or 94 E36, we went for a test drive and 10 minutes into the drive the top part of his rad where the hose connects blew. This was caused by the failure of the water pump. He needed a new pump and radiator, but in the minutes after the problem he kept asking if this was caused by the chip.

Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast