GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 540 intake re-seal help

Default 540 intake re-seal help

I took off the intake to reseal it and change the PCV plate. I used the ample info on this board to get the step by step instructions. My problem is that it will not run properly. I cant even get it to run enough to see if I have a vacum leak. It is pumping too much fuel in. The plugs are soaking wet. I put new plugs in to no avail. I cannot find anything I did not seal back up or did not plug in. If I hold the throttle part open it will chug to life but run beyond lumpy and stall if I let off on the throtlle. Any suggestions would be helpful. The good news is, the 540 being down was a good reason to drive my '66 911 around today. So I am not too bummed about not getting the 540 running.
    Thanks,

Aaron

Did you get new intake manifold gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Did you get new intake manifold gasket?
    Good question. Full rich with wet plugs is an indication of a massive unmetered air leak after the maf.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

right, check the intake tubing and make sure the intake tubing os on all the way, a little leak can cause this. Also check the fuel rail tube on the back of the rail drivers side US that it didnt kink or get chopped, the FI requires vacume to cut back on fuel pressure and iv the vacume tube isnt on or cracked you can get too much pressure.

let us know!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim
    Good question. Full rich with wet plugs is an indication of a massive unmetered air leak after the maf.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    right, check the intake tubing and make sure the intake tubing os on all the way, a little leak can cause this. Also check the fuel rail tube on the back of the rail drivers side US that it didnt kink or get chopped, the FI requires vacume to cut back on fuel pressure and iv the vacume tube isnt on or cracked you can get too much pressure.

let us know!
    Yes, new intake gaskets, new front gasket and rear gasket as well as pcv plate. I replaced the vacum line from the end of the fuel rail to the back of the manifold, so its brand new an in place. I am wondering if its not so much a rich condition as a not firing on some cylinders problem. I took the coils off and put them back on the exact cylinders just to be keep things the same.

BTW: there is no vacum line on the drivers side on mine. There is the above mentioned one on the passanger side. But I think its the same one you are speaking of. The vacum fitting on the PCV plate on the drivers side had a cap (homemade, tubing with screw) I put a new cap on there and the elbow off the back of the PCV plate.
    Last edited by araine901; 02-21-2006 at 07:06 PM.

A few months ago, I was doing a reseal on a 740. It was the end of a Friday and I was pretty tired. Got the thing back together a few minutes before 5. Cranked it and the thing was taking FOREVER to catch. Finally got it running, and it was going like a bag of ****. Try to put it into gear or let up on the throttle and it stalls. I went over everything again, checked the oil return line, ran carb cleaner/no vacuum leaks, gaskets were properly seated. Even thought maybe my crimp was bad on that wire that has to be cut (it was an M62) to move the DS harness out of the way. Everything still looked good. Got it on diagnostics and realized that it wasn't charging -- ~ 10 volts and falling. Went over the harness connectors again and discovered that I'd stuck the PS fuel rail harness connector back on itself (knock sensor spot), if I recall correctly. This had blown a DME related fuse -- not the DME, thank god -- and connecting that plug to the MAF or wherever it goes and replacing the fuse had the car running normally again.

So, make sure you've plugged everything back into the right connectors One of my more boneheaded mistakes.

best, whit

Default Found it

I found the problem. Using a mico mirror I found that one of the intake gaskets slipped out of the groove and got bound up, therefore not sealing very well. Thanks for the help.

Aaron

practice makes perfect

glad you found it and didnt break anything.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default My CSI shots of the PCV and Throttle Body

Here are some shots of the PCV and throttle body immediately after disassembly.
    You can see where dirt or oil accumulates around possible areas where the sealing has been compromised.
    Click on the thumbnails for a full size shot:

Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Default Fixed it!

I pulled the intake back off and confirmed that the front right seal had fallen out of place was was all crossed up on the port. I bought a new set of four gaskets and used some permetex gasket adhesive (light dusting) on the part that fits into the groove. Purrs like a kitten now. The whole rework only took about 45 min. Its much easier the second time around.

Thanks again!!!!

Aaron