GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: door rubbers from E39 into E34

Default door rubbers from E39 into E34

Found on the japanese E34 tips and tricks page, contributed from a driver in Taiwan.
    E39 used rubber parts are not that old as from E34 and they fit, they are apparently just a bit longer and have to be cut under the sills. Very good idea
    http://dd.jpn.org/BMW_HP/20041213/index.shtml

I have to check if they fit also on the E32, because they cost a fortune and my ones on the rear doors are also shrinking, as probably on many of your cars, making more wind noise while driving and doors are more difficult to close.

Thanks for sharing Shogun, my wife's E39 door seals have already been replaced and it's 10 years newer than my E34!

Part of the problem with the E39 seals is the flex that is built into the door. As the car moves over bumps and humps the doors actually move up and down ever so slightly. This causes chaffing near the latch mechanisim and eventually wears through on the E39, and eventually replacement. So when you're looking for used E39 seals for your E34, take a careful look at the door latch area for excess wear.

It appears that BMW is aware of this fact, and have a tougher surface built in on the face of the new E39 seals to make them last longer. We all know a good dose of Gummi-Pledge on the seals a couple times a year will also increase their lifespan.

Again, thanks Shogun for sharing the information with us, it's good to know, and I would have never thought to try an E39 seal.

After talking with Scott H. about this information, it appears that the E39 seals only come in black where the E34's are different colors. Maybe that's the reason for the cost difference?

thanks a lot for sharing

Thanks, Jr ///M5

so that means to look out for E39 seals from recent years, if we want to install used ones.
    If they come only in black that would be a slight disadvantage, although I believe (not sure) on the E34 black on only on the M (?), so it might be some idea to get the little bit more individual taste on ones car.

Thank you shogun and thankyou Mr K

Assuming the E34 seals we are discussing are the ones fitted to the body and they are just shrunken but otherwise fine, my repair:

Buy one piece of seal/trim from a wrecker (any colour).

Remove threshold trim and cut the seal apart at the seam.

Re-fit the seal tightly onto its mounting flange while pressing back against itself to compress the seal/trim lengthwise.

By the time you get completely around the door you will end up with a 2-4 inch gap.

Cut a piece of the spare trim and splice into the area under the threshold. Use 3M black weather strip adhesive to make the splice air tight.

Problem solved.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Default I'm not insane and i don't drink

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    Assuming the E34 seals we are discussing are the ones fitted to the body and they are just shrunken but otherwise fine, my repair:

Buy one piece of seal/trim from a wrecker (any colour).

Remove threshold trim and cut the seal apart at the seam.

Re-fit the seal tightly onto its mounting flange while pressing back against itself to compress the seal/trim lengthwise.

By the time you get completely around the door you will end up with a 2-4 inch gap.

Cut a piece of the spare trim and splice into the area under the threshold. Use 3M black weather strip adhesive to make the splice air tight.

Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    Intelligenti pauca
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

The door rubber seal trims aren't that expensive. I got a replacement (it was actually in stock at the dealer in the right color!) for 75 bucks after my discount. Even if all they give you is the standard BMWCCA 10% they should be under 100 bucks a door.

Just be sure to cram as much of it as possible into the corners.

yes, yes, always the discussion about buying new or not. Not my problem. Just want to show you how to save
    http://infinitier.ddo.jp/e32/page/mainte/mainte_051.htm
    http://infinitier.ddo.jp/e32/page/mainte/mainte_052.htm
    From my website, one of my good friends
    in Japan is doing that.
    He is not poor, drives some cars, but he enjoys saving by repairing
    http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/auto.htm
    scroll down on my page and see under infinitier