GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: low pressure oil warning

Default low pressure oil warning

I have a 95 540, the car was working fine and now the low engine oil pressure comes on. This only happens at idle speed and only after the car is warmed. It does not do it when is cold. Need sugestions of possible problems. I was told that this could be caused by worn seals.

Default The oil pump bolts vibrate loose on your car....

It may be to the point where the oil pump is not snug and you are losing some pressure. I'd have the pan dropped ASAP and have the oil pump checked.

If the pressure sensor was bad, it would tell you so. Can't hurt to test it but I would think your oil pump should be checked anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ram5757
    I have a 95 540, the car was working fine and now the low engine oil pressure comes on. This only happens at idle speed and only after the car is warmed. It does not do it when is cold. Need sugestions of possible problems. I was told that this could be caused by worn seals.

Default What kind of oil you you put last change?

If its happaning only when warmed up, then it is possible that you have wrong grade of oil when get too thin after warming up and thiner oil mean lower pressure. I had similar problem onec in my toyota (not BMW though) and I chaged to thiker oil that fied the problem.

Just my though, you may or may not have same problem.

Akhil

Scotts right here, drop the pan and clean the bolt holes and use red loctite when you put the bolts back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    It may be to the point where the oil pump is not snug and you are losing some pressure. I'd have the pan dropped ASAP and have the oil pump checked.

If the pressure sensor was bad, it would tell you so. Can't hurt to test it but I would think your oil pump should be checked anyway.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Thicker oil would only be a bandaid for a larger problem in this case.....

A zero weight oil should be able to be run with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhil
    If its happaning only when warmed up, then it is possible that you have wrong grade of oil when get too thin after warming up and thiner oil mean lower pressure. I had similar problem onec in my toyota (not BMW though) and I chaged to thiker oil that fied the problem.

Just my though, you may or may not have same problem.

Akhil

Default If he is not sure what kind of oil he put in last change then

don't you think it would be wise to use right grade of oil and check before taking things apart? Specily when this problem come only when it warms up. It was just my thought , I may be wrong

Akhil

I think when the V8s have a notorious oil pump bolt issue that they should be checked first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhil
    don't you think it would be wise to use right grade of oil and check before taking things apart? Specily when this problem come only when it warms up. It was just my thought , I may be wrong

Akhil
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Listen to Scott and Jeff! They are trying to tell you about this issue with the V8 BMW engines. It's not a news flash, but others have found their bolts laying in the bottom of the oil pan and the pump dangling by one bolt.

It's easier to drop the pan on a V8 than it is the 535 I-6. Take heed and take care of this problem as soon as possible or you can seize a $5000 engine.

Default Ditto -

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    Listen to Scott and Jeff! They are trying to tell you about this issue with the V8 BMW engines. It's not a news flash, but others have found their bolts laying in the bottom of the oil pan and the pump dangling by one bolt.

It's easier to drop the pan on a V8 than it is the 535 I-6. Take heed and take care of this problem as soon as possible or you can seize a $5000 engine.
    Just do it - now.