GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Phuel-pump Phun Phollow-up......

Default Phuel-pump Phun Phollow-up......

...or.......How much am I gonna get ph*#ked?

A little recap.........My car wouldn't start, it would crank endlessly, but no coughs or even an idea of kicking in. Much thought, (that was my 1st problem) much discussion with many here, many good ideas given, many of them tried. Relays, pumps, jumpers, crank sensors, pressure gauges, even an idea to check the "code" feature. Never thought of that one! But no. Not that either. I TRIED to try most of those ideas.....but finally gave in. Here's my tale of woe.

OK....I'm finally home from work, after a long one today and an even longer one yesterday. I got home yesterday around 10:30pm and didn't even touch the PC, just crashed and went to bed.

So, Monday I got up early and tried to find the cam and crankshaft sensors. I couldn't see them anywhere near where the photo in the ETK showed. Nothing but hoses and cable(throttle?)linkage and ......stuff. I finally thought that maybe if I removed the air intake going into the manifold, that came from the air filter box, maybe I'd see them easier. Not a good move. The first screws and connectors that I loosened all seemed to make the hoses move a little but as I almost separated the metal part(what the hell is that thing anyway....looks like a carb?)I saw a gasket that I didn't want to damage and I still couldn't really see anything...and....and....and. My "buddy" who was going to give me a lift to a parts place Monday morning was no where to be found. I called two others and no one could give me a lift. Not that I knew what to buy anyway! It was now around noon and sometime that day I HAD to be in my office, so I just said "#@!*&!#" and called AAA and had him tow me to the dealer. I was just too frustrated and dirty to try anything else. I needed to get to the office and I had a very important(and$$$)dentist's appointment at 6pm too.

So it was real easy. A little ride in the tow truck, they gave me a "free" '04 325i loaner, I get on with my day. All I have to do is wait for my credit card bill. At least I can play with the 325 for a day or two. So I guess I have to give back my Junior Mechanic's Merit Badge back, huh? My biggest problem.....well, car-wise at least.....is that I can't afford to have my car immobile for more than a weekend. Or I need another car. I don't want to go that route.

So that's the story. Go ahead, you remember my symptoms, guess. Guess what my bill's gonna be. I'm thinking it ain't gonna be fun. Between that and the dentist......ouch! Bad day.

But thanks for all your help anyway. If I'd had more time, tools, patience, and assistance here I might have been able to figure it out.

Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

A Proctologist is what your going to need and an infusion of cash. Good luck and keep us informed.

Mike Holbrook

Default just curious.....

why the dealer? indy not able to take it?????? if you coulda held off until sat, id have been there and coulda helped you, having already ripped half my engine apart diagnosing no-starts in the past. i guess its not to be...
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 03-16-2004 at 09:26 PM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Yeah, I know.........

I really don't know of an indy anywhere around here that I would trust to work on a bimmer. I've gone to one guy before, but was less than impressed. I knew they'd give me a "free" car....usually a Honda....and this time I think they're buttering me up with the 3er. I can't walk to work. I can't take my work van home. If I could do THAT it'd have been easy. Yadda-yadda-yadda........I was just tired and pissed. Things like this happen when you have room on your Visa credit line.

Brian C.
    .............Ansel Adams

Default yeah but you got ....

those nice dirty ass trains to ride down there, don't you? meet all kinds on the public transport, you do. i can't imagine how much they are going to charge to do a fuel pump for you....when i thought mine was gone, the cheapest i could find one (not even bma) was about 236.....if it was gone, was going to rebuild it and post a procedure, i can't imagine that there are more than 5 dollars worth of consumable mechanicals in there that one couldn't get from a hobby shop. i drink a nasty american (milw. best) beer, raise it up to you, and hope they don't wrong you TOO much.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Trains??? Bwahahahahaaaaa!!!

And I pick one up WHERE and it'll take me friggin' WHERE????

No where, that's where.

Brian C.
    ....and make it an Hatuey.(we call them Hah-tooeys!)
    .............Ansel Adams

Default I'm very sorry to hear that....

Blame myself not to have been able to help you better.

Default if someone wants

more background on how a fuel pump "usually" fails...and how one can "usually" fix it, here's some instructions that apply to a land rover, though similar.

http://members.aol.com/jixix/Disco/L...umpRebuild.htm