GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW VS Commodore

Default BMW VS Commodore

Does anyone know those car enthusiasts who think cheap low priced crappy cars are better quality than good cars? My mate just got a holden berlina which is a base model commore + climate and a few other incidentals. Has an American 5.7L v8 with 220kw. He honestly recons its the best bar ever made. Which is fine except he also recons the quality is better than my BMW. I went for a drive, it has lots of power. The cheap switches are all out of alignment and creaking, ride was woefull. When I called it a commodore he said it was not, it's a berlina. I keep saying it's really not a fair comparison because his car was 40k new and mine was 120k new, it's a different ball park, he wont have it, always wants to draw direct comparisons where the commodore comes out on top (most comparisons evolve around his car being faster). The old VN thread a week or more ago I passed to him and he actually defended the VN and said it was faster than my car (VN has 130kw). I said mate, the BMW 2.5L has 10 more kw than the VN 3.8L. Anyway, this is one of these people we all know who will defend his crap to the hilt in the face of overwhelming evidence. It is frustrating after a while especially as he is usually the one to kick start the topic. I have had a lot of cars in the last decade including a WRX which handle well and are fast but I never thought it was good quality. My BMW is the best car I have ever driven bar a late 911. I have driven every commore out there and the all suck. (sorry any aussies who own a commodore as more than half the population do)
    1990 BMW 535i Exec

for us in North America, it is like comparing a new dodge hemi car with our old bimmers.
    They might be fast (read guzzler), but in 3 years, it will be just as shitty as all the other American cars available, just give it time to break in! (read break down), rattle and shake.
    No offense to American car owners, including Holden drivers, but we all know our bimmers are smoother, even 15 years later!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

that's like the guys who think a good sports car is the newer Monte Carlo!
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

120k for a new 5 series? wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by F4Phantom
    Does anyone know those car enthusiasts who think cheap low priced crappy cars are better quality than good cars? My mate just got a holden berlina which is a base model commore + climate and a few other incidentals. Has an American 5.7L v8 with 220kw. He honestly recons its the best bar ever made. Which is fine except he also recons the quality is better than my BMW. I went for a drive, it has lots of power. The cheap switches are all out of alignment and creaking, ride was woefull. When I called it a commodore he said it was not, it's a berlina. I keep saying it's really not a fair comparison because his car was 40k new and mine was 120k new, it's a different ball park, he wont have it, always wants to draw direct comparisons where the commodore comes out on top (most comparisons evolve around his car being faster). The old VN thread a week or more ago I passed to him and he actually defended the VN and said it was faster than my car (VN has 130kw). I said mate, the BMW 2.5L has 10 more kw than the VN 3.8L. Anyway, this is one of these people we all know who will defend his crap to the hilt in the face of overwhelming evidence. It is frustrating after a while especially as he is usually the one to kick start the topic. I have had a lot of cars in the last decade including a WRX which handle well and are fast but I never thought it was good quality. My BMW is the best car I have ever driven bar a late 911. I have driven every commore out there and the all suck. (sorry any aussies who own a commodore as more than half the population do)
    I always used to think this whole euros are so good blah blah build quality blah was a load of rubbish, that said i didn't think much of holdens and fords. But after having 2 bmws of 24 and 14 years of age and seeing the equivalent australian cars, they are pieces of the proverbial in comparison and if people in australia were reasonable about servicing and parts costs for your "premium" car they would cost more ("oh a semi-trailing arm i've never seen one of these before it will take extra "expertice" ").
    Anyway some people can't be told, until they experience it. Thats why i don't like to make judgements before there is proof ie specs or if something such as reliability (which is more abstract and subject to alot more heresay) I reserve judgement until I have experienced it for myself. Ultimately the e34s were a reliable car, much more reliable than australian cars of the period. when you tell people you drive a car with 246 000 km on the clock they look at you like you are joking. I've seen mid 90s cars with 140 000 km in much worse condition (japanese cars at that).

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

over in australia cars are much more expensive. and you have to factor in the exchange rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

yeah but still, 120k for a 5 series is insanity. Why's it that much more expensive? I thought people in the UK were getting shafted but Australia is a whole new dimension!

beats me, iirc e34's go for around 9k aus that go for 4k us.... probly has to do with the cost of parts that need to be imported? hell, i'm just speculating, we'll let the guys from the land down under answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

I'm not sure about Europe/UK/US but in OZ we have ahefty 'luxury car' tariff. We also have the 'tyranny of distance' to contend with. Shipping rates are ridiculous. Never the less we are digressing. I posted the VN thread to just have a laugh at what was 'the new thing' in 1988 and how the motoring press was raving. The thing that irks me the most about the Commodore BMW comparrison is that there is no comparrison. They are in a different league. A bit like comparing the Australian test cricket side with the Roseville under 12s. A mate of mine (Commodore owner), said to me recently, "Nice car mate but those BMWs are over engineered." I mean WTF!?!? Most people who bag BMWs have never owned one and may have never even ridden in one. Let them talk... out of their a**e!
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by angrypancake
    beats me, iirc e34's go for around 9k aus that go for 4k us.... probly has to do with the cost of parts that need to be imported? hell, i'm just speculating, we'll let the guys from the land down under answer that.
    Australia's automotive market is not as competitive as say the US, japan or europe. And It doesn't have a significant buying power either as we are a small country.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast