GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 535i Gas mileage

Default 535i Gas mileage

Hey I just have a quick question- According to my on-board computer my car gets terible mileage (10-12 mpg), and although I havent checked it by tracking the miles on my odometer and dividing by the number of gallons put in, based on how fast i go through a tank of gas ~11 MPG seems pretty close.

So my question is what kind of mileage do you guys get? I drive pretty er...spirited , but im not flying away from ever stoplight or anything like that. I drive about 15 miles a day and in light to no traffic and mostly in the city (not much highway).

Seeing as how im 16 and broke I want to see if other people get similar mileage in 535s, or if it is simply my "lively" driving causing this poor mileage or something worse.

Thanks

If the OBC is accurate, that seems like a lot. I drive 'spritedly' as well and get 19-21 MPG.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

I've been getting between 17 and 19 MPG. You definitely have something wrong if you're only getting 11. Have you done a tune-up lately? Good place to start, and you can buy a nice tune-up kit at BMA for around $75 last I checked.
    Mike S.
    1992 535iM black/black
    1997 540iM white/gray
    Retired: 89 535iA, 85 318i

<<Support your local autobahn, stay out of the left lane!>>

I second the 19-21 MPG with spirited driving... 11 seems pretty low.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

my computer says 9mpg. But my speedometer doesnt work for about ten minutes each morning as well.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

On average I usually get around 17 to 19 mpg on mine. I agree with the tune-up that could help greatly. You also may want to check the oxygen sensors as you could be running too rich.

Quote Originally Posted by we_call_him_doher
    Hey I just have a quick question- According to my on-board computer my car gets terible mileage (10-12 mpg), and although I havent checked it by tracking the miles on my odometer and dividing by the number of gallons put in, based on how fast i go through a tank of gas ~11 MPG seems pretty close.

So my question is what kind of mileage do you guys get? I drive pretty er...spirited , but im not flying away from ever stoplight or anything like that. I drive about 15 miles a day and in light to no traffic and mostly in the city (not much highway).

Seeing as how im 16 and broke I want to see if other people get similar mileage in 535s, or if it is simply my "lively" driving causing this poor mileage or something worse.

Thanks

Corey Horton
    1992 BMW 535i

Thanks ill look into the tune up kit. What are the signs of a bad oxygen sensor?

Hey sounds like my kinda mileage!!! I get about the same 9-12 in town a few stop signs but about 3 miles to work. I if i go down the interstate at 75-80 or so i get 15-18 but soon as hit stop n go it drop significantly.I know for a fact that I need a new dist. cap and I also think a new o2 sensor couldn't hurt a bit.

Pat

Sorry guys this may seem dumb, but I went to the BMA website and couldnt find the maintainence kit! could someone post a link or help direct me? I saw the kit on Bavauto.com but its $115. YIKES!

115 isn't out of line, but the generic Bosch are 49 FWIW, email me off list if you want details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast