GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Rushing Wind Sounds

Default Rushing Wind Sounds

I purchased my(93) E34 about 3 weeks ago and I'm fixing little things here and there BUT there is one thing I know nothing about. When Im driving down the highway there is this rushing sound of wind around my windshield AND NO this sound is loud like it's missing some molding or something let me add that it hasnt been to windy and it doesnt leak around the window. Is this normal does anyone else have this issue?
    Last edited by Bimmer93; 02-20-2006 at 05:21 PM.

Default Has the windshield ever been replaced???

what labels does the windshield have on it, and does it have a roundel anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer93
    I purchased my(93) E34 about 3 weeks ago and I'm fixing little things here and there BUT there is one thing I know nothing about. When Im driving down the highway there is this rushing sound of wind around my windshield AND NO this sound is loud like it's missing some molding or something let me add that it hasnt been to windy and it doesnt leak around the window. Is this normal does anyone else have this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    what labels does the windshield have on it, and does it have a roundel anywhere?
    That is one thing I checked as well it has the BMW logo on it. It's not to say it's been replaced before!

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer93
    I seem to recall a technical service bulletin about wind noise from the windscreen area. Don't remeber what the fix was but Bill R surely has the document.

Moulding coming loose is a notorious thing on these windsheilds because the retainer clips break easily and you have to pull the windshield to replace them. I had to shoe-goo my last one back on.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Find your favorite color of painter's tape (blue, doesn't leave residue) and run a strip across the top of the windshield and down the sides. Drive the car, if you still hear the wind, it's not the windshield. If you DON'T hear the wind. Peel off only one side, drive it again, until you have located the wind noise. This will tell you if the trim piece is catching wind and producing the noise.

There were several experiments with BMW mirrors over the years of the E34 to alleviate wind noise. I don't think they eliminated it, but they did reduce it on the '95 model year mirrors. The mirrors have been known to be one of the wind noise makers of the E34.

i ran a good quality electrical tape across the top and bottom of my windshield and that squashed a annoying buzz that happened when air temps were below 50-55, that worked for over 2 years and nobody ever noticed not even the guy i sold the car to

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    Find your favorite color of painter's tape (blue, doesn't leave residue) and run a strip across the top of the windshield and down the sides. Drive the car, if you still hear the wind, it's not the windshield. If you DON'T hear the wind. Peel off only one side, drive it again, until you have located the wind noise. This will tell you if the trim piece is catching wind and producing the noise.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

wasnt there an entity that mentioned something about the bottom of the windshield and the plastic crap that sits against it?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I get this problem on my rear drivers side, the little triangle shaped corner window, it has a tad bit of open space at the top, and it's the only window without the "bmw" logo on it.... So it's definately been replaced.
    Ugh, it's annoying because it does it at about 60+
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    wasnt there an entity that mentioned something about the bottom of the windshield and the plastic crap that sits against it?
    yeah.... that was me....

Rumor has it if you pull it... clean it up... get new clips the noise goes away...
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

After looking close to the windshield I found that the plastic trim that comes in contact with windshield (well) there is a very small gap in some places and flush in other areas. What do you think? Maybe clear silicon fill in the gaps?