GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT- Jetta head lights turns

Default OT- Jetta head lights turns

Hey Guy,

Today at walmart parking lot when I was taking my car out from parking right in front lot there was a Jetta seems barand new prob. 2006. He was taking out his car at that same time. What I observed that when ever he turn his steering left or right his Xeon headlight turns with it left and right following front wheels. I never saw that in any car before. Did you guys ever see any car like this? It is only in VW cars and Bimmer and other lux. left behind? Just curious..

Thanks
    Akhil

i believe lexus was the first to come out with it, they used to have sweet commercials saying their headlights rotated 35 degrees or so. a lot of car makers are copying it now, since everyone bites off each other. cool innovation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

I think it might have been in some cars long ago.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

I don't think it was possibal until Xeon lens came out. since xeon lens is small in size and kinda big LED bulb. I read an artical about some auto makers are testing LED to use as head light and data transfer (like stop, distance mesure, collision prevention etc) to the car ahead on the same principle fiber optics works.

That would be really cool. You wouldn't be able to hit a car ahead even it you want to becoz your car will apply the brake even it you press gas.

Akhil

I am hesitant to post my thoughts becuase it will show my age.

In my previous job life I worked as a Senior Director in Engineering for a major domestic outboard engine company (Starts with M, by the way was deeply involved in the 2.6L, supercharged I6 engine, Verado).

Anyway, some data we retrieved from ECU's of our top HP outboard engine showed 45% of the time the engine was running was at idle to 1,500 rpm.

The point is the general publics perception of what they want and what they actuallly need is far from being aligned. Iv'e seem some threads on why the E34 is so popular. In my opinion is is that engineering balance between what is possible and what is required in day to day life. I don't need steering headlights at 25 MPH, in fact I don't want them as it is a source of repair later in life.

KISS Keep it Simple Stupid is what I want. If I need steering headlights on the streets of the US I am driving too fast for conditions and should be thrown in jail. Join SCAA and do it in a parking lot or rent your local track.

you shouldnt feel hesitant to post your thoughts, as all opinions matter here and are taken into account. unless youre a complete moron. as for the age thing, there are old, young, and in the middle. i do agree with the join scaa part, always a good point. steering headlights are sweet though, if you're on an unfamiliar road at 1am in bumble**** countryside, they could possibly prevent a deer vs car collision, no? speed might not have much to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_DS

"The headlights swivelled with the steering wheel (not allowed in the USA at the time so a fixed light version was made for the US market) allowing the driver to see around turns."
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

OK, I can see your point. But on a lighter side, if you are on an unfamiliar road at 1:00 AM, worried about deer, than you've likley been up to no good of some sort and should be extra "cautious".

Default Most ppl dont need steering headllight on 99% use...

but lux car still consider that 1% use, if any and they charge top $ for their cars and ppl are ready to pay for it just to feel good. Its all part or matterialistic and commercial world. And most ppl who buy these cars for these features do not keep it after more than 5 yrs. so they don't worry about repair.

I felt the need of steering head light when I was driving from San Francisco to Houston on those I-10 dark curves but was able to manage with high beam though.

Akhil

This is a subject close to the heart. What we need versus what we want. I appreciate that there are times where "features" that allow us to travel at a higher rate of speed. But please consider that the Daytona 500 will likely be won by mere tenths of a second. Does it really matter if you get to the in-laws house a minute early? Personally, kerosene lamps for lights would be fine. I amgoing on ecord as saying technology needs to be balance with the real need. If you want a low cost vehicle, give up what you really don't use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast