GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Replacing/Restoring Interior

Default Replacing/Restoring Interior

I have had my car close to a year. I wanted to get it mechanically sound which I'm pretty much there. Then the plan was to do the interior and finally the exterior.

I am ready to start on the interior, but unfortunately the PO was a smoker. Living in FL, some interior pieces are shot anyway from the sun. I basically want to redo absolutely everything from headliner down to the carpets. I'm thinking the best thing to do would find a complete interior from another e34 for door panels, dash, center console, and seats. Then have an interior shop do the headliner and carpets.

Just wondering what others have done, good sources for parts, etc....
    91 535iA M30 Auto
    Born in 3/91 (The Bimmer, not me )

120,000 Miles
    Pics soon--she is a work in progress

Find a u-pick, u-pull junkyard with a specialty in foreign cars. Not too common, but they are out there. There's one near my house and I've gotten so much stuff for my E30 there for so cheap it's not even funny. And you gain the experience of seeing how the pieces fit together if you remove them from the cars yourself.

If there's no yard like that in your area, you can always go to regular junkyards if they can get it right...or order new from BMA, who can get anything for your car.

Default Interior restoration

Definitely consider the u-pull junkyards. We have them where I am, pay a buck and go on in. The only problem being is that they don't post an inventory and what you saw today might be crushed tomorrow.

Another thing to consider is E-bay. Use real OEM to check p/n's against different modelsfor compatibility to yours. I picked up two heated mirror glasses for about $35 ea. versus $81.25 new, both came from E36's as did the CD player I bought yesterday. I have seen complete interiors listed as well as individual seats.

I think you'll find once you have your interior out taking the carpet out won't be a big deal. You may find a decent one and headliner as well at the junk yard. Hope this helps.

I have a receipt from a PO for $350 for new headliner and package shelf in my E34. That might give you an idea of what you would pay for headliner. I do have a little different roof since I have a glass sunroof but either way you have to upholster the underpanel.

I have seen a LOT of interiors over the years on ebay. People selling all the door panels, seats and console. So that stuff is out there.

I don't know where you live but in San Diego there is a place called Autobahn that breaks a dozen cars a week probably. They have everything but it might not be cheap enough for you. They have a web site: search Autobahn, El Cajon, BMW and it should pop up.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by mholbrook
    I have a receipt from a PO for $350 for new headliner and package shelf in my E34. That might give you an idea of what you would pay for headliner. I do have a little different roof since I have a glass sunroof but either way you have to upholster the underpanel.

I have seen a LOT of interiors over the years on ebay. People selling all the door panels, seats and console. So that stuff is out there.

I don't know where you live but in San Diego there is a place called Autobahn that breaks a dozen cars a week probably. They have everything but it might not be cheap enough for you. They have a web site: search Autobahn, El Cajon, BMW and it should pop up.
    That place is awesome!! I wish I had one near here. I will keep looking, but even if something like that was within 7-8 hours of me...I would be there in a heartbeat. I would be concerned ordering an interior sight unseen and can't imagine shipping being cheap. It certainly gives me hope the parts are out there though.
    91 535iA M30 Auto
    Born in 3/91 (The Bimmer, not me )

120,000 Miles
    Pics soon--she is a work in progress