GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: Does Aubrey deserve the 318iS for his 16th birthday?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's time to launch another Bimmernut

33 54.10%
  • No, it's too much for a 16 year old

16 26.23%
  • Wait for later.....

12 19.67%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cast your vote

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    I started driving in 1993 with a 1989 Jimmy. It was a nice car at the time, and I never wrecked it. I respected my dad for letting me use it so freely and having confidence that I would do the right things (despite coming home at 3am from my girlfriend's house consistently). I have a different take on the situation, and knowing Aubrey and the England family a little bit helps me in my decision. I have confidence that he would respect what he is given and it can be a good learning experience.

The only downside is that it sets the bar high going forward in life to always have a nice car.

I get the feeling that Aubrey will be a responsible driver. I voted not yet, not because I feel HE will wreck it. It's the other douchebags that are too busy putting on make up and thumbing their asses while driving that I worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

I have no idea what Aubrey is like - but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion! I say give a child something more valuable than a car, namely the experience of earning what he or she gets. My thought is that it is difficult to value what someone else gives without having learned by earning on one's own. Too many these days think they are somehow entitled to something, or that the world owes them something. Better to learn early that what one recieves is based on one's own efforts. This is tough on a parent who has the ducats and the desire to give freely to their child but makes for a better and more productive person in the end.
    Generic thoughts apropo of no one.
    Tom Walrod, no kids, but a niece and nephew who have been given to too freely, to their detriment.

It looks lovely. It wont for long. I too was a responsible driver with a respect for the car I was given but I was let down by my inexperience. Get him a hack and wave the E30 in front of nose as the prize for 12 months of careful, responsible driving. Just my humble opinion.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by angrypancake
    I get the feeling that Aubrey will be a responsible driver. I voted not yet, not because I feel HE will wreck it. It's the other douchebags that are too busy putting on make up and thumbing their asses while driving that I worry about.
    I see what you mean. One can be a technically perfect driver and still get hit by another driver. It takes entirely another level of driving skill to practice defensive driving and always being ready for the other guy to do something stupid. It take awhile to learn proper defensive driving, some of it is instinctive, but much of it come from experience. I know that i am not at the level of driving skill that i will be at 1, 2 or three years from now, so i adjust my attention and focus as well as caution accordingly. Also, even if the new driver does everything he/she is supposed to, it is very easy to make one stupid mistake that will ruin your car.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Jr Can you tell us anything about Aubery that would let us know that he would recognize the value of what he would be getting? Has he had a job? Has he worked with you on the cars? Has he shown excessive responsibility and maturity for his age?

People value things in direct proportion to the effort expended in getting it. Things that come easy, like inheritances or lottery winnings, are blown quickly because people didn't have to work for them. If Aubery has not had to expend any energy to earn this car, he won't value it and is more likely to trash it.

My inclination would be to set a bargain price on it and let him buy it from you when he can earn the money to do so. He wil enjoy the car much more under those circumstances.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

The question i would like to raise is: is 16 a proper age to begin driving (a BMW) independantly?
    I didnt get my license till i was in the late 17, in retrospect, i thank my parents for it. even so, i have done some stupid things, especially when given the 5, as opposed to my own saab.
    looking back i see how the might and power of the 5 brought out a very irresponsible side, fueled by peer pressure and ...well teen culture. Part of it may have been a reaction to having had my permit for 2 years under strict limitations, but regardless. i think it is part of the growing up/maturing driver process to do stupid stuff. i got lucky most of my growing up was done in an old SAAB 900s, which made me appreciate and respect the occasions in which i was given the 5 more, and made me all the more happier when the car was mine. Personally i wouldnt just give it to him. make him want it, teach him how to drive in it like a pro, send him to BMW teen driver school, as a gift. drive with him, spend time with him and the car and try to see how he does.

You probably already have made up your mind. but either way, happy birthday to your son.
    Last edited by mzarifkar; 02-19-2006 at 07:09 PM.

Default If you have no idea what he is like, how do you know...

if he hasn't ALREADY earned the car over the last few years???

Quote Originally Posted by calmloki
    I have no idea what Aubrey is like - ...... I say give a child something more valuable than a car, namely the experience of earning what he or she gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    Jr Can you tell us anything about Aubery that would let us know that he would recognize the value of what he would be getting?

Glad you asked Gayle, you should re-read the post by Scott H....

Aubrey will be doing his Eagle project this Spring, he has been active in Boy Scouts ever since he was 6 years old. If you know about Boy Scouts, then you know about the character it builds.

Aubrey makes A's and B's with an accelerated class schedule. He works around the house, and usually works for cash in the summer for his Uncle. This year, he wants to get his first "real job" and sock some cash away for college. He is taking a class this semister called "Transportation Tech", it's about learning just how all the mechanics in the automobile work by tearing them down and putting them back together. He is always interested in what I'm doing to the cars and is always there to lend a hand.

Bill Bass sent a book to me about driving autocross a few years ago, Aubrey read the book and would watch races with me and then ask questions about the "line" they were using and the apex...

I can appreciate everyones apprehension about "giving" a car to Aubrey, and I would be the first one to say, NO, if the situation were different. It's not about the cost of the car, I paid $1300 for it and brought it back to life as one of my winter projects. It's about rewarding the child who goes to church, makes the grades, doesn't drink or do drugs, and respects his mother and father, and to attain the rank of Eagle in the Boy Scouts. He is a son to be proud of and I could go on, but it would be like watching home movies..

sure sounds like he's earned it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Here's the deal. I read the whole thread. Frankly - this isnt about us or what we had when we were growing up. This is about a young man's first car that his Dad has worked on in order to give him. Food for Thought - EAGLE Scouts Rock! In order for Aubrey to achieve EAGLE he would have had to demonstrate great responsibility; judgement and character.

I am certain the car also offers an opportunity to wrench on it as well. And MOST importantly of all - the e30 chassis is a really safe one. I have seen people who have hit trees in them walk away. Personally - I could care less if the car was abused as long as it was safe in an accident with my kid in it. So - I voted yes and I think the Father / Son / Wrenching potential on this car is high - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast