GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: Does Aubrey deserve the 318iS for his 16th birthday?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's time to launch another Bimmernut

33 54.10%
  • No, it's too much for a 16 year old

16 26.23%
  • Wait for later.....

12 19.67%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cast your vote

Give him a wreck, and let him turn it into that~
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

What a fantastic present! but i voted not yet. i think let him bend a volvo240 first. give him the bimmer but as well make him save and buy a daily driver for a year and only take the bimmer once a week. best of both worlds. we all know what happens to most first cars. they get bumped, sctratched etc etc

Default No...you need to trade with me and let him have mine...

...no pesky sunroof to leak, no pesky central locking to jam up on him, and none of the pesky limited slip stuff to think about....

I voted no, but in my heart, I know the answer is yes. Just tell him that he'll have to answer to me after he has to answer to you in case that baby ever gets even the slightest smudge!!

Good luck Aubrey, and make Dad proud! Be careful out there.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

if your going to give him anything at all (he ought to buy his own) give him a ratty one, see what happens, he might wreck it, he might keep it clean, after a year or so see what you he deserves, maybe may him buy it off you.

looks like you already made up your mind, one yes choice and two no choices so not much chance for the no's..

but i would wait.. if hes like most 16 yrolds i know including myself at that age he will most likely damage it pretty good if not total it within a year or two.

so give him some american boat car and let him drive the 318is once in while so he knowsthe value of the 318is when you give it to him a year down the road..

my .02
    -Pekka

I'm going with not yet, but as a kid, damn, I wish my dad had something that nice to give me when I was 16 (3 years ago). The responsible driver in me says that he should get a beater, and take the 318 when he wants to take that hot blonde out. Everyone cracks up a car sooner or later, and it would suck to see that thing smashed. The kid in me says.... "I want that car and every chance I get it will be in 5th gear, and maybe dad can teach me how to slide around corners and heel-toe brake, etc etc."

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb
    What a fantastic present! but i voted not yet. i think let him bend a volvo240 first. give him the bimmer but as well make him save and buy a daily driver for a year and only take the bimmer once a week. best of both worlds. we all know what happens to most first cars. they get bumped, sctratched etc etc
    Why would first cars get bumped and scratched more than second or third or fourth or fifth or sixth cars?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Default Interesting that so many of you think he will wreck the car!!!

I started driving in 1993 with a 1989 Jimmy. It was a nice car at the time, and I never wrecked it. I respected my dad for letting me use it so freely and having confidence that I would do the right things (despite coming home at 3am from my girlfriend's house consistently). I have a different take on the situation, and knowing Aubrey and the England family a little bit helps me in my decision. I have confidence that he would respect what he is given and it can be a good learning experience.

The only downside is that it sets the bar high going forward in life to always have a nice car.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    What a great car to learn so many things on. He can learn to drive, and learn to wrench! Of course it doesn't help when there's almost no work to do on the thing!!!

Good driver's car, good safe car, good for Aubrey!

Default My Vote is NO on 16th birthday - Yes on 17th.

Give 'em something to tear the hell out, puke and smoke in. That car is to nice to cut your teeth on.
    JoeS

Bought a 318iS for my wife with the intention of our 2 boys being able to drive (borrow) the car until they can prove they can look after it.
    These are too good to just give to them, as most NEW drivers are lucky to know where the fuel goes let alone tyre pressures, checking oil and water etc
    Greg
    E30 318iS & BMW K1200LT

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast