GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300k km maintenance

Default 300k km maintenance

Firstly I want to thank everyone who has anything to do with this forum. Since reading it for the first time its been an invaluable tool for taking care of my E34. I'm sure if the knowledge gained so far could be quantified it would be an exponential sum. So thanks again.

On to some more gainable knowledge...
    My 525 has very close to 300000km on the clock. Its extremely well maintained (full service history) and has no big problems, squeeks, etc. I am a little worried about the mileage though. My question then being what should be looked at in the car from a mechanical point of view? What should be replaced no questions asked, what should be inspected and the like?

We don't want you dropping off the first page without help, so I'll provide you with my opinion.

If you know your way around the vehicle and can diagnose problems using the tell-tale signs and wisdom from the forum, then you I would just keep driving it. The only things I'd be interested in are the fluids, especially brake for obvious reasons. Determining when they were last changed should be easy wit the service history.

Have a peek-a-boo under her every now and then to keep track of things.

Now go break something dammit

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

agree with dave on this one. if some basic rubbers have not been done maybe have a look. ie tranny mounts, engine mounts etc

Quote Originally Posted by Toeks
    Firstly I want to thank everyone who has anything to do with this forum. Since reading it for the first time its been an invaluable tool for taking care of my E34. I'm sure if the knowledge gained so far could be quantified it would be an exponential sum. So thanks again.

On to some more gainable knowledge...
    My 525 has very close to 300000km on the clock. Its extremely well maintained (full service history) and has no big problems, squeeks, etc. I am a little worried about the mileage though. My question then being what should be looked at in the car from a mechanical point of view? What should be replaced no questions asked, what should be inspected and the like?
    well if it aint broke don't fix it. just regularly check out the hot spots for things going bad, be it the control arms or the glove box latch. since it seems like you're already on top of things, you're in a better position than most of us . 300k km isn't terrible, there are a decent amount of people closing in on the 200k mile mark, and of course Dave M with 8 bazillion km's, but his head is off right now. and hang around for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Default Thanks a mil

the input is once again great. Isn't it great being able to drive a car that 11 years later seems to be 2 years old? I pitty the fools who dont drive BMW. (mr. T voice).

I am taking the car tomorrow to have the front suspension checked, have a violent shimmy when driving over very small bumps. I recon it might be the tie rod. Other than that, just waiting for my EAT chip! :-) This forum is outstanding...Thanks again gents.

Default Update

I got the suspension checked and apparently I need new shocks and the bushings need replacing. I've never done it before and dont have the tools (specifically the spring compressor). Should I try or pay the shop?

Also received my EAT chip. Big shout out to MarkD, its absolutely a gain on power and torque. I could feel it from the start and apparently it supposed to get better the next few days? Well worth the money, thanks again....

At 300k, the car is usually ready to be put out to pasture. If you're looking for a place to donate it for free, I can be reached at traian( at )fantasycars.com

Default Righttt (dr. Evil)

You have a 540, now why on earth would you want my 525? And no, I think I'm gonna keep it, just for a while....

Read my writeup on springs/strut insert replacement over on http://www.bmw4life.com. I wrote that specifically to show that the job could be done in the driveway on a saturday afternoon with limited tools or previous experience...even on a high mileage, neglected car (my 535 has 386,000 kms on it, or 232,000 miles).

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by Toeks
    You have a 540, now why on earth would you want my 525? And no, I think I'm gonna keep it, just for a while....
    That's vicious sarcasm kid.

But hey, you ask 'em...
    Last edited by Traian; 02-26-2006 at 07:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast