GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 95 540i pads????

Default 95 540i pads????

Hi all,
    I ordered some brake parts for my 1995 540i E34 M60.
    My mechanic tells me the rotors and pads are not the right ones for my car. I checked with the supply store and they tell me they are the right items. Does anyone here recognize these pads. I think maybe the previous owner may have modified the braking system.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The pads with the ears on them look right. The "earless" one is definitely wrong for a 540i. Who'd you order your gear from?

540's have bigger brakes than other E34 cars (except M5). Pads are not interchangeable with other models.
    '95 540iA ~212k

The squarish pad on the left of your picture looks like the pads that go with the 4-pot "Nurburgring" calipers that were standard on the late euro M5 and Canadian M540i. The pad with the ears looks like a stock E34 pad. Although the "regular" 540i uses a different rotor, the pads are interchangeable with most other E34s (525i, 535i, 530i and US M5).

Post a pic of your caliper, and we'll know better what you're dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by ceasarco
    Hi all,
    I ordered some brake parts for my 1995 540i E34 M60.
    My mechanic tells me the rotors and pads are not the right ones for my car. I checked with the supply store and they tell me they are the right items. Does anyone here recognize these pads. I think maybe the previous owner may have modified the braking system.
    Thanks
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Quote Originally Posted by DrewZ
    The squarish pad on the left of your picture looks like the pads that go with the 4-pot "Nurburgring" calipers that were standard on the late euro M5 and Canadian M540i. The pad with the ears looks like a stock E34 pad. Although the "regular" 540i uses a different rotor, the pads are interchangeable with most other E34s (525i, 535i, 530i and US M5).

Hey, thanks for all your help. My 540 is a Canadian model. I purchased these parts locally from a London Ontario brake supplier and the rotors from a Connecticut supplier. I don't have any pics now of the caliper but I am posting pics of the rotors. I will try to get pics of the calipers from my mechanic.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

left rotor looks cracked
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

would be sweet if he has an m540i. post up a pic of your car and one of the calipers and we'll go from there.
    Last edited by angrypancake; 02-19-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Default Yikes.....

are my eyes playing tricks on me or is the right rotor a floating rotor from the M540 and the left rotors a normal one? Pretty sure you have mismatched rotors.......now you NEED to post pics of your calipers before going further.....

Quote Originally Posted by ceasarco
    Hey, thanks for all your help. My 540 is a Canadian model. I purchased these parts locally from a London Ontario brake supplier and the rotors from a Connecticut supplier. I don't have any pics now of the caliper but I am posting pics of the rotors. I will try to get pics of the calipers from my mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by angrypancake
    would be sweet if he has an m540i. post up a pic of your car and one of the calipers and we'll go from there.
    Its on a hoist at my mechanics garage. I 'll try to get over there tomorrow and gets some pics.

Thanks again

Default Guessing

left rotor is rear 328mm rotor and right rotor is front 345mm rotor. Similarly, top pad pic is front pads and bottom pad pic is rear pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    are my eyes playing tricks on me or is the right rotor a floating rotor from the M540 and the left rotors a normal one? Pretty sure you have mismatched rotors.......now you NEED to post pics of your calipers before going further.....
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Quote Originally Posted by DrewZ

Hi, I'm going to my mechanics this afternoon and take some pics of the calipers. He tells me now that these are 4 piston calipers that are in good shape and that the rotors can be machined and saved also. If these are the 4 pot Nurburging calipers where can I buy the pads for them.

Thanks I will be back with pics and any part numbers I can retrieve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast