GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency: what happened?

Default Emergency: what happened?

It is 0 degrees F outside, car is parked outside. I start the car, idle's incredibly rough, after 30 seconds of rough idle i start driving. i go down a hill, proceed up a hill. car has no power going up. stalls! i roll back down the hill. park it. attempt to start, will crank, sputter maybe, wont start! i was really low on gas, i put in another gallon. i am stuck at an cafetaria now. car is outside, out of traffic.

1995 525: Engine M50tu, automatic transmission, when parked last night all was well, except low fuel.

my number is 970.443.9360, if anyone feels the want to call.

Thanks

I'd say you have ice in your fuel and you need some gas line de-icer.

Use an isopropanol based gas line de-icer as it mixes with the water and allows it to be burned off. Methyl alcohol will work but won't allow the alcohol/water mix to burn off as it doesn't mix with the fuel in the same way.

Always keep your tank better than 1/2 full whenever the weather is cold to minimize moisture problems from condensation.

Good luck.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

will a gas line deicer work even now, or is it more of a preventive thing? and how long for this to take effect. any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by mzarifkar
    will a gas line deicer work even now, or is it more of a preventive thing? and how long for this to take effect. any other suggestions?
    Maybe just fill the tank and give it some time?

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Quote Originally Posted by mzarifkar
    Try a couple of small bottles of de-icer and then fill the tank with your normal fuel. After a couple of cranking attempts, the alcohol will start to flow through the fuel rail and pressure regulator, melting and absorbing the ice. It should start after a couple of hours.

In Calgary, the Petro Canada stations pre-mix de-icer into the fuel so I never have to worry about this problem.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    In Calgary, the Petro Canada stations pre-mix de-icer into the fuel so I never have to worry about this problem.
    Oh yeah, that's true. I think PetroCan supplies "winter fuel" across the country.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

The problem is that the deicer isn't going to find its way magically through your fuel lines when they already have ice blocking them. You're going to have to wait for the temperature to rise above feeezing long/high enough to melt any ice already in the system so that when the fuel pump runs, the water will be pumped through and the deicer will have a chance to work on it.

Default Is fuel pump picking up gas???

Nobody stated what I thought might be obvious. He is really low on fuel and car stalls while going up a hill. Maybe the fuel pump has no fuel to pick up, therefore...no fuel pressure. I've cornered hard on a low tank and had the engine sputter. I'm sure that's what it was in my case. Might try putting a few gallons in the tank and see if she fires up.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

every time I park in my driveway (a hill) my 540 runs out before the needle hits empty... and once I add fuel, it still takes a lot of cranking for it to catch, as if that is not the actual problem!

Get some high octane fuel, and at least 2 de-icers, fill it and crank the **** out of it!
    It will grab, it just needs time!
    if there really is water and ice in the lines or tank then it may require warmer temps!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

I was hoping that was the case, i got some fuel (1 gallon) put it in the tank. no changw yet.
    does the fuel pump run when car is in on position? im going to put some deicer in the tank and wait.

New pickup line: Hey hottie... *insert hot look here* wanna thaw the car? (yes i am bored, and stuck! waiting for ice to sublime out of my tank... ill keep posted.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Robert K
    Nobody stated what I thought might be obvious. He is really low on fuel and car stalls while going up a hill. Maybe the fuel pump has no fuel to pick up, therefore...no fuel pressure. I've cornered hard on a low tank and had the engine sputter. I'm sure that's what it was in my case. Might try putting a few gallons in the tank and see if she fires up.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast