GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: full suspension overhaul

Default full suspension overhaul

hi guys, i have been reading all these suspension threads and the happy results so far. What i would like to know is the different categories of suspension components as I would like to know which I should be focusing on. I am trying to get an overall picture as to where all these individual areas fit together so I can make a decision on what to do next.
    some simple quesitons i would really appreciate an answer too

- is there a complete overhaul of components and a semi overhaul?
    - is there is only rubber components to replace in any service?
    - which parts are the most important, and have the biggest effect?
    - can anyone link the effect of driving the car to areas or exact parts? meaning if I change part A I will get effect C. (i have some cornering issues I would like to rid)
    - Which are the qucikest, easiest parts to do which "had you known before you would have done it ages ago"? (I have had situations where I put off doing a job cause it "seemed" hard, when I actually did it I wished I had done it earlier because of the massive effect it had and ease of doing it)
    - any parts i cant easily do myself with basic tools?

I hope my question is getting across thanks in advance.
    1990 BMW 535i Exec

minus well do the whole job while you are at it
    hmm...I don't know.
    Upper/lower thrust arms, shocks, springs, dog bones, tie rod ends, sway bar links
    - can anyone link the effect of driving the car to areas or exact parts? meaning if I change part A I will get effect C. (i have some cornering issues I would like to rid)
    describe the problem...there are lots of reasons
    - Which are the qucikest, easiest parts to do which "had you known before you would have done it ages ago"? (I have had situations where I put off doing a job cause it "seemed" hard, when I actually did it I wished I had done it earlier because of the massive effect it had and ease of doing it)
    I would say...bruno's urethane subframe inserts...not the biggest wow improvement...but easy and improvement non the less
    Nope, not really. The collar nut and taking off the thrust arms are the hardest part

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

so if I do the following

a) "Upper/lower thrust arms, shocks, springs, dog bones, tie rod ends, sway bar links"

b) "bruno's urethane subframe inserts..."

that is considered an upgrade with the "lot"? thanks heaps.
    1990 BMW 535i Exec

Default think for serious job choose 'a'.

... inserts 'b' are a 30 min job max anyway, so why not... along w/dogbones another 30 min total (or both for both sides in 45 min max... )

lift and impact wrench help get thing apart.
    dont forget blue locktight, and shock/strut mounts.
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

I've done shocks/springs and lower thrust arms with basic hand tools -- as long as your set of basic hand tools includes ball joint separator (aka pickle fork) and BFH.
    When replacing thrust arms you might consider getting some with 750i bushings instead of stock 535. That firms things up a little and controls the front end shimmy.

Quote Originally Posted by F4Phantom
    so if I do the following

a) "Upper/lower thrust arms, shocks, springs, dog bones, tie rod ends, sway bar links"

Not really "upgrades".....just maintnence. Important maintnence.

It took me about 6-8 hours to do my whole suspension....including shocks and spring, tie rods, center link, idler arm, dog bones, sway bar links, upper/lower thrust arms, and...I don't rmember what else.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Default All the advice your getting here is good.

don't forget, shock mounts like what RobPlatt says, also to include beefier swaybars, subframe bushes, not 750i but m5 thrust arms, center tie rod, idler arm. I think the biggest change will be changing the worn shocks and springs. Ask genphreak, we changed almost everthing on his car recently. swaybar links, i guess it depends what is worn out.

so if I do the following

Thanks so far guys, as always I am copying this thread into a word doc. I will either attack this one myself or maybe approach a mechanic to do it all for me if it's not too much. I have been through throwing away days on end to work on the car with my e30, I dont really like spending 8 hrs on my car anymore. I didnt mean upgrade, but maintenance, although the ride will be hopefully upgraded.
    1990 BMW 535i Exec

hi guys, i have been reading all these suspension threads and the happy results so far. What i would like to know is the different categories of suspension components as I would like to know which I should be focusing on. I am trying to get an overall picture as to where all these individual areas fit together so I can make a decision on what to do next.
    some simple quesitons i would really appreciate an answer too

I hope my question is getting across thanks in advance.
    I've replaced all the suspension, sway and steering components on my front end. Turns out they were all the original parts, except maybe the upper thrust arms. After 16 years and 238,000 miles, it was time. What a difference. Amazingly the original shocks and springs are still performing.

I bought all the parts and had all the work done by a mechanic I really trust. Without a lift at my disposal, it seemed the right way to go.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

I got into all this when i went around a corner at speed and the tail seem to be a bit on edge as it wants to wader into oversteer a bit.
    1990 BMW 535i Exec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast