GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photos of New Alpine

Default Photos of New Alpine

Some folks were interested in how the new Alpine looks, and how well the iPod integration works. Photos I've got; I'm still getting used to the controls. I'll try to find time to write a more detailed review this weekend, right after I fix my OBC bulb(s).

With flash, kind of what it looks like in daylight. Notice the metallic gleam off of the HU. It's a sort of gunmetal dark gray normally; the flash makes it look awful.

Without flash, night time illumination. I had to try about 23 times to get this picture (no tripod) so don't pick on me for how crummy it came out. The illumination from the iPod face isn't nearly so bad as it looks here, nor is the Alpine readout so distracting. Minus some points for the Alpine readout being white, and not dimming with the rest of the radio when the BMW's lights are on. Course, it *is* a sub-$200.00 US radio. *shrug*

iPod placement on the console - noticed the discreet black Alpine cable coming out the bottom. I think it's weird that there are actually 2 cables; I may get some shrink tubing to go over that. I have the iPod's case (a Contour Showcase 4G) velcroed in place, and the screen is just visible from the driver's position when the car is in D. Not that I need the screen with the Alpine; I should just turn off the backlight and be done with it.

Magic Secret Decoder Box Place - just stuffed it into the glovebox and hooked the wires around the back, jammed them up into the center console, done. Too easy.

Total investment:

HU - $169.00 plus tax at Best Buy
    iPod Adapter - $99.00 plus tax at Best Buy
    Wiring harness & antenna adapters - $29.00 at local radio shop

~2 hours of cursing and running back into the house to cry for help on this website

~1 scratch on the wooden shift handle (@!#%#$%!@$!@) that came with the car

I'm pretty happy so far - the HU is nice, and I'm *ecstatic* to be getting away from the tape deck adapter.

Which reminds me, anybody want to buy my factory stereo? This Alpine is going with the car when I sell it, as my next car is going to be an E39 540, and this won't fit.

Thanks for looking.

-Zak-
    1995 525iM - 131k - Alternator play, broken s-belt
    1995 525iA - 147k - Tensioner weirdness, broken s-belt
    2001 Intgra GS-R - 130k - spun bearing
    2002 Honda Odyssey - 80k - fragged transmission

Default questions?

Why didn't u just get one of the new 2006 Alpine units that do not need an adapter and just the cable. I think the model is CDA- 9856. They have it at bestbuy now and i think u can get it on ebay for about the same price u payed. That is what I am planning on getting. That way u dont need the $99 adapter. Just the $29 cable. I also noticed that you have ur ipd on the console. Why do u need it outside if the deck can control the playback?

Quote Originally Posted by ProZak
    Some folks were interested in how the new Alpine looks, and how well the iPod integration works. Photos I've got; I'm still getting used to the controls. I'll try to find time to write a more detailed review this weekend, right after I fix my OBC bulb(s).

With flash, kind of what it looks like in daylight. Notice the metallic gleam off of the HU. It's a sort of gunmetal dark gray normally; the flash makes it look awful.

Without flash, night time illumination. I had to try about 23 times to get this picture (no tripod) so don't pick on me for how crummy it came out. The illumination from the iPod face isn't nearly so bad as it looks here, nor is the Alpine readout so distracting. Minus some points for the Alpine readout being white, and not dimming with the rest of the radio when the BMW's lights are on. Course, it *is* a sub-$200.00 US radio. *shrug*

iPod placement on the console - noticed the discreet black Alpine cable coming out the bottom. I think it's weird that there are actually 2 cables; I may get some shrink tubing to go over that. I have the iPod's case (a Contour Showcase 4G) velcroed in place, and the screen is just visible from the driver's position when the car is in D. Not that I need the screen with the Alpine; I should just turn off the backlight and be done with it.

Magic Secret Decoder Box Place - just stuffed it into the glovebox and hooked the wires around the back, jammed them up into the center console, done. Too easy.

Total investment:

~2 hours of cursing and running back into the house to cry for help on this website

I'm pretty happy so far - the HU is nice, and I'm *ecstatic* to be getting away from the tape deck adapter.

Which reminds me, anybody want to buy my factory stereo? This Alpine is going with the car when I sell it, as my next car is going to be an E39 540, and this won't fit.

Thanks for looking.

-Zak-
    Nice set up..My set up is very similiar:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/668949/3
    Mustbr8kfree
    1995 525i, Shadowline,EAT chip, Alpine

How's the usability? That's my biggest concern with the adapter setup.

Nice match on the button color. Shame the display can't be made to match, too.
    Last edited by Jay 535i; 02-14-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Default How much you are selling factory stereo for?

and would it fit in my car (92 525i) with out any issue/problem?

Let me know.

Thanks
    Akhil

Useability is pretty good, as long as I don't try to do fancy navigation from the Alpine. Scrolling through a long list of artists / playlists is pretty slow. I may do what Inferno suggests, now that I have the wiring harness figured out.

Jeez, I don't know; how much is it worth?

Seriously, though, I figure $100.00 would do nicely, plus shipping. Seem reasonable?

-Zak-

Quote Originally Posted by ProZak

Total investment:

Thanks for looking.

-Zak-
    Jay had asked me if I knew anything about Alpine's claim that you can only scroll through three hundred songs via their adapter and since I have the mini, that hasn't come up. I see you have the bigger IPOD so I was wondering if you could address that with Jay (ex. how many songs do you have..do have hundreds of songs for 1 artist or 1 playlist etc).

Thanks,

Michael
    Mustbr8kfree
    1995 525i, Shadowline,EAT chip, Alpine

Quote Originally Posted by InfernoM3
    Why didn't u just get one of the new 2006 Alpine units that do not need an adapter and just the cable. I think the model is CDA- 9856. They have it at bestbuy now and i think u can get it on ebay for about the same price u payed. That is what I am planning on getting. That way u dont need the $99 adapter. Just the $29 cable. I also noticed that you have ur ipd on the console. Why do u need it outside if the deck can control the playback?
    According to Crutchfeild the CDA-9856 does not have adjustable color. It also seems from Alpine's website that none of their current models do. The last generation had many with adjustable lighting.

Default info

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_525i
    According to Crutchfeild the CDA-9856 does not have adjustable color. It also seems from Alpine's website that none of their current models do. The last generation had many with adjustable lighting.
    yah i was wondering that too. I may head to best buy tonite to check them out. I wonder if there is a way to mod the bulbs if not. it weird too that the 05 models are more expensive than the 06 ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast