GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you clean/lube door latches, etc?

Default How do you clean/lube door latches, etc?

I see archives about PB Blaster and Teflon... just squirt heck out of the first, let it soak, then do the second...? My driver's door starting not to latch unless slammed shut... hoping some preventative maint can stave off me changing out the latch, kinda a PITA. Any help appreciated. Thanks - Rob.
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

is your region real wet damp and or cold?

hint us!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default It's good to lupe the door stop strap

Ya know that funny little arm in the middle of the door on the hinge side.

Keep it lubed up, if it starts to bind, it will fatigue the door and blow out a chuck of door panel.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    is your region real wet damp and or cold?

hint us!
    ...northwest florida... humid in summer, humid in winter, low usually not less than a few nights in the 20s... else rather temperate... just the dang door will only latch if you shut it pretty hard and was hoping a clean/lube job may help things out instead of changing out the door latch... the spring or whatever just seems to not engage the latch when the door closes...
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Default I wouldn't use pb blaster there even though i use if for all the

stuck bolts/nuts/flanges etc... because it really really stinks and when you spray it on the door hinges/latches/brake the odor permeates the car for a long time. I made the mistake of using it on a couple of customers cars on the
    hinges trying to free up binding hinges. I would suggest something that you can stand the smell of such as wd40 or the stp silicone spray lube which dries pretty much odorless. Then once you get the latch cleaned out with the spray you can wipe as much of it out as you can get and use a general purpose lithium or synthetic grease. I use a thin coating of mobil one synthetic grease that comes in a tub. Its red colored so its easy to spot when you've used it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPatt
    ...northwest florida... humid in summer, humid in winter, low usually not less than a few nights in the 20s... else rather temperate... just the dang door will only latch if you shut it pretty hard and was hoping a clean/lube job may help things out instead of changing out the door latch... the spring or whatever just seems to not engage the latch when the door closes...

that thing a pain to get out?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    Ya know that funny little arm in the middle of the door on the hinge side.

Keep it lubed up, if it starts to bind, it will fatigue the door and blow out a chuck of door panel.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Thanks Bill, will give it a go....

tonight, along with find the rattle which I think is rt. rear shock mount from the sachs install a few months ago.... Cheers, Rob.

Default Yeah... swapped it on the E30... kinda PITA...

can be done just take time and patience.... no space, can't see, got to line up the door lock, door handle, plunger for the door lock, plug to the central locking...etc. if come to that may as well buy new rubber rood handle seals from flea bay. ?

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    that thing a pain to get out?

To lube the door hinge (going into the door), just spray inside semi-blind? Or is there a sanctioned way to do this? My doors are 'binding' a bit and the 'scraping' is unnerving
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Default don't know...but

i just did exactly as said, squirt heck out of it w/PB Blaster, worked it in... then coated w/white grease and everything's happy. but probably overkilled could have got by w/either 1 or other....

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    To lube the door hinge (going into the door), just spray inside semi-blind? Or is there a sanctioned way to do this? My doors are 'binding' a bit and the 'scraping' is unnerving

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast