GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A possible relationship?

Default A possible relationship?

two problems have surfaced at around the same time, i think there may be a possible relationship.

I have no heat, depending on how cold it is outside, generally that is the temperature coming trough the vents, with an occasion random squirt of warm air.

I noticed coolant (it tasted like coolant..) dripping in the front of the car, when i parked it for a second and came back (the engine was not up to temp yet when parked) Then last night, the car was ideling for maybe 5-6minutes, unatteneded, when i got back in, Check engine light was on, "coolant Temp" error message, and temp gauge was in the red. i parked the car 30sec later, and being that it was 2am, and 18degrees F outside i went to bed.

The car had been running at highway speeds for about 30 minutes, with temp gauge at normal 12 o clock position.

HEres what i was thinking for possible problems:
    Low coolant level, causing air into the heater core, no warm air that way
    possibly in conjunction with fan thermostat not working.

I think you're on the right track. If your coolant level is low or if coolant is not flowing you'd have no heat.

It's scary that the needle was in the red after being left unattended. How long was it in the red for? No way to know for sure. More than a few seconds can be very bad for car and wallet.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Default You said it was running on high speed......

most likely you water pump gave up if it is still original water pump with plastic impaller. I had that problem when I ran engine over 4000RPM first time. Now I have water pump with matel impaller.

Akhil

Have you actually checked the coolant level? Sounds like you have a leak.

It tasted like coolant? Coolant is very poisonous, I hope you serously don't know what coolant tastes like

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

I dunno what it tastes like either but maybe tastes like it smells???

it does taste like the way it smells, now i didnt go under neath it with open mouth to cath a drip, i felt the ground, it felpt like it could be coolant,i couldnt smell anything, definatly tasted the way one would imagine coolant to tast like, but oddly enough i cant describe it.

Coolant tastes sort of sweet depending on what "brand". If I taste it, I spit it out personally. It is poisonous but you have to have more than a couple molecules to do any harm.

Tyenol is poison too if taken in more than correct dosage. Take too much and say goodby to your liver.

You don't say what engine you have but I would do a complete inspection of the cooling system. Change the thermost and maybe the housing if it is the plastic kind, check/change any old hoses, flush the system, refil, burp it and then watch carefully after it gets to operating temperature.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

Default Yep, so be warned...

Never leave containers of it around if you have dogs- they will drink it and they may die afterwards... or at least be very, very ill.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

One teaspoon is enough to kill most dogs. The molecular structure suggests that it tastes very sweet.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast