GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Second New Fan Clutch Still No Lock up?

Default Second New Fan Clutch Still No Lock up?

Replaced the fan clutch during the water pump replacement and noticed that after a long drive the fan clutch would not lock up. Called the huys at pelican parts and then sent a new behr clutch put it on yesterday and again the same thing. It doesn't see to lock up.
    The radiator temp is very consistant along the entire face. The car doesnt overheat either.
    Does the aux fan need to come on and help push air thru the raidiator so the clutch can get up to the right temp?
    My fan doesnt work on low speed (i am replacing the resistor next week) so it never comes on.
    Chris
    95 530i, 1975 c172m

Default The thermostatic coil in the front of the fan clutch reacts directly to

the temp of the air passing through the radiator... if its not hot enough it won't lock up... actually it never locks up , just reduces how much it slips.. You may have some dirt,debris, bugs, butterfly's etc. built up on the front of the radiator blocking the amount of airflow that gets to the fan clutch. The auxillary fan doesn't need to come on for the clutch to engage. the fan shroud pretty much directs the flow of air across the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by av8r
    Replaced the fan clutch during the water pump replacement and noticed that after a long drive the fan clutch would not lock up. Called the huys at pelican parts and then sent a new behr clutch put it on yesterday and again the same thing. It doesn't see to lock up.
    The radiator temp is very consistant along the entire face. The car doesnt overheat either.
    Does the aux fan need to come on and help push air thru the raidiator so the clutch can get up to the right temp?
    My fan doesnt work on low speed (i am replacing the resistor next week) so it never comes on.
    Chris
    95 530i, 1975 c172m

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    the temp of the air passing through the radiator... if its not hot enough it won't lock up... actually it never locks up , just reduces how much it slips.. You may have some dirt,debris, bugs, butterfly's etc. built up on the front of the radiator blocking the amount of airflow that gets to the fan clutch. The auxillary fan doesn't need to come on for the clutch to engage. the fan shroud pretty much directs the flow of air across the clutch.
    thanks bill, guess i am just being obsesive.

I have read that it should stop almost immediately. When it does stop it begins to rotate in the opposite direction. Strange!

slightly off balance, mine does the same. the only time I can really hear the schoolbus sount that indicates that it is really pulling air is when I first start it cold and when ambient temp is around 80 degrees and I pull away from a stop for a few seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by av8r
    thanks bill, guess i am just being obsesive.

I have read that it should stop almost immediately. When it does stop it begins to rotate in the opposite direction. Strange!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy