GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Can an E34 Central Lock be TOTALLY Disabled ?

Default Can an E34 Central Lock be TOTALLY Disabled ?

I just purchased my first E34, a '91 535i with a manual 5-Speed gearbox, and have already had to get into the vehicle with a coat-hanger because the central lock activated when the trunk was slammed shut while the keys were in the ignition with the windows wound up.

I sifted through the archives under this subject and got to wondering whether it is in fact possible to completely de-activate the central locking system in this vehicle. There seem to be so many things that can go wrong with the auto-lock system as the car's electronics age, and I'd much prefer to reach over and manually lock/unlock the doors, rather than trust a computerized system which has seen its better days.

Other than this potentially troublesome bug, my 535i is a truly exhilirating rush to drive, and I wish I'd gotten one earlier. Again I apologise if this specific question has already been asked in the archives someplace, but I did search with no success.

i doubt anybody has touched on killing the locking so the search wouldn't do anything, the trunk lock actuator is a little out of adjustment you just need to pull down the cover on the trunk lid loosen the two screws and slide the actuator whatever direction it needs to go to make it happy.
    the way the latch/lock system is built it locks manually but unlocks electrically (smart eh) i made mine (90 535i) unlock from the drivers door manually with some construction to deal with a problem that didn't make sence i didn't feel like figuring out after i totally rewired the car (fire damage) it worked the 48k miles till i sold the car just fine, what happens when you turn the key to lock you push the lock servo past it's breakover point which triggers the locking system, when unlocking a cam rolls over a microswitch which triggers the locking system (this part of the system didn't work properly on my car so i fabricated a lever that pushed the lock servo letting it unlock the car just like the system does when locking the car)
    it's not a big deal, it takes me about 5 seconds to open the hood without damaging anything with a flat blade screwdriver, and then shoot power to the car and unlock, you just need to play with the latch through grill, you can unlock the car from the passinger door using a procedure found on www.bmwe34.net

Quote Originally Posted by muttley
    I just purchased my first E34, a '91 535i with a manual 5-Speed gearbox, and have already had to get into the vehicle with a coat-hanger because the central lock activated when the trunk was slammed shut while the keys were in the ignition with the windows wound up.

I sifted through the archives under this subject and got to wondering whether it is in fact possible to completely de-activate the central locking system in this vehicle. There seem to be so many things that can go wrong with the auto-lock system as the car's electronics age, and I'd much prefer to reach over and manually lock/unlock the doors, rather than trust a computerized system which has seen its better days.

Other than this potentially troublesome bug, my 535i is a truly exhilirating rush to drive, and I wish I'd gotten one earlier. Again I apologise if this specific question has already been asked in the archives someplace, but I did search with no success.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it