GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Just picked up this engine stand

Default Just picked up this engine stand

Hey guys I am buying an engine stand for my pending "Project WTF" on another M50 engine. This one seems to fit the build. I am dealing with an M50 longblock entailing rebuilding/headgasket/fabricating turbo exhaust manifold so this should fit the build. The M50 is 420 lbs, this one is rated 750. Worst cast is I add on a cross bar at the open end but I really don't think I will have to.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32915

good price too. I was looking at a local store called "Re-Tool" sells like retired engine lifts/stands etc, and the best they had was a 800 lb stand for $79 (used) and it looked the same. Harbor freight +1

somebody had the nuts to say "NO TIPPING" about a tricycle stand, yea i guess it's better then if the stand only had two points touching the ground. a 3 wheeler will work fine just becareful especially while moving it with a loaded motor on less then perfect pavement, i have two 3 wheelers have haven't lost one yet but came close a few times, i want that big 4 wheeled one with the nice rectangle footprint
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    somebody had the nuts to say "NO TIPPING" about a tricycle stand, yea i guess it's better then if the stand only had two points touching the ground. a 3 wheeler will work fine just becareful especially while moving it with a loaded motor on less then perfect pavement, i have two 3 wheelers have haven't lost one yet but came close a few times, i want that big 4 wheeled one with the nice rectangle footprint

winfred,
    was thinking i could just get steel stock from homedepot and add two casters by making a cross bar if need be. shouldn't be necessary though.

I bought a 750lb stand for my M50 rebuild and I consider it one of the best $80 bills I've ever spent. The only disadvantage I can see with the harbor freight is the single wheel out front. Mine had another 'axle' and two wheels up there and if/when you crank on the f'er, you may find it tippy.

CBetter crack the crankshaft nut before you remove the engine . Oh, and tell us more about the project.

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

fuggin stands are cheap

how much is shipping tho?

$8

We use that Harbor Freight stand at work. Essentially you get what you pay for. I guess the important thing is, it does the job it was intended to do. So far we have had no problems with it, but we use it to lift Sea-Doo motors (actually Rotax). The new 4-Strokes are quite big and heavy...not quite a
    M50 though.

Good Luck!!!
    91 535iA M30 Auto
    Born in 3/91 (The Bimmer, not me )

120,000 Miles
    Pics soon--she is a work in progress