GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filters?

Oil Filters?

I recently bought a 94 540 and was perusing bavauto.com and noticed they have two types of oil filters for the E34s. Ones with metal ends and ones with plastic ends. This is the only place I've seen the two, it seems everywhere else they all have plastic ends.
    Did some E34s, or more specifically 540s come with plastic or metal, and what's the difference...and of course how do I find out other than looking at mine?

Which might not be very reliable considering it was changed before...
    Tom
    1994 BMW 540i
    1986 Porsche 951

Iii always go to the dealer for oil filters...gives me an excuse to kick some tires in the used car showroom..i sense an appointment with a e39 528 5 spd and a e46 smg..........course none of them holda candle to the 5 ahem :sunnies
    Last edited by Paul in NZ; 01-29-2004 at 04:42 AM.
    Gone but not forgotten

Unregistered Guest

I have the same vehicle and ran into the same problem. I can not recall off the top of my head which one, but I believe it's the plastic one made by Fram (I'll check and get back). I realize that doesn't answer your question, but I suggest you do as I did: purchase both filters and return the unused. If you have an A&A auto store in your neighborhood, then you should be able to find the filters you need and they will gladly refund you on the one not used.

Treebeard Guest

I always get the OEM certified (I think) metal end filters by Mann.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I have the same vehicle and ran into the same problem. I can not recall off the top of my head which one, but I believe it's the plastic one made by Fram (I'll check and get back). I realize that doesn't answer your question, but I suggest you do as I did: purchase both filters and return the unused. If you have an A&A auto store in your neighborhood, then you should be able to find the filters you need and they will gladly refund you on the one not used.

Default filter conversion

BMW did an upgrade to the filter housing deal, it is a plastic insert which upgrades it to the newer style filters. The old style has the metal ends, new ones have plastic that goes over the insert. Dont drain your oil before you make sure that you have the upgrade and correct filter (how do I know that)
    Jeff
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Why not OEM if you have one close by.....

my 94 530i came with plastic ends.....yea I like going to dealer as well. Course I always end up purchasing a clip, bolt or something.
    Callen 94 530i 91 535i 5spds

Default Yes, but what is OEM?

OEM is nice, but does the OEM have plastic or metal ends?
    I'd rather not take my car to the dealer, because all they will do is
    let some 18 year old kid in the service garage work on it...I like doing
    things myself or by a very trusted person in which you clearly see a
    passion for what he/she is doing unlike most mechanics...
    Tom
    1994 BMW 540i
    1986 Porsche 951

I agree, DYI -- it help the ego and helps keep the wallet fat. If your not interested in purchasing both, then open the hood and find out. Simply unscrew the cap with a 22mm socket, lift up on the cap slowwwwly after you get her unscrewed -- you don't want to be wiping oil from everything in the area. The filter should be attached to the underside of the cap, it is on mine. Good idea: have a oil drain pan handy and slip her under when you can. Let the oil drip off and carefully pull the filter from the cap, it require a little bit of force so don't crab onto the paper part of the filter or she'll crush. Tah-dah. You now can identify your filter type or take a digital for us to see. Just follow the steps in reverse to putt her back to normal. Good Luck

Sounds like a plan.
    But what if the previous time it was replaced it was simply replaced by the wrong kind?
    Maybe I'm being too paranoid, I don't know hehe.
    Tom
    1994 BMW 540i
    1986 Porsche 951

A picture says a thousand words. I suspect that it is not possible to have the wrong type installed...but I am not sure about that. Confirmation...anyone???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast