GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help...hubby wants to get rid of her

saleswman525 Guest

Default Help...hubby wants to get rid of her

Hi, I am new to this site...I need help quick. Bought a 1992 525 with a "trans code" problem. Been sitting for 6 months....tried to start it and it started yesterday....well today no start. Charged battery, ckd plugs, put new gas in it.....Hubby is not happy...

Ok...could trans code make it not start or visa versa? I cannot afford a new tranny right now.....what other reason would be for no spark to the engine....

I dont want to get rid of her......

Thanks,
    Shirley

Default Gas may have gone bad after 6 months. NT

Quote Originally Posted by saleswman525
    Hi, I am new to this site...I need help quick. Bought a 1992 525 with a "trans code" problem. Been sitting for 6 months....tried to start it and it started yesterday....well today no start. Charged battery, ckd plugs, put new gas in it.....Hubby is not happy...

Ok...could trans code make it not start or visa versa? I cannot afford a new tranny right now.....what other reason would be for no spark to the engine....

I dont want to get rid of her......

Thanks,
    Shirley

It would help if you state where you are located... maybe one of us dedicated E34 Bimmerheads would be kind enough to come over and assist.

Check with bmwe34.net for all the info on your car.

ryan-roopnarine Guest

Default trans prog....

won't make it not start, your battery may have taken a dump....my 525i, i know by experience, will start with as little as 11.0 volts, but if its stone cold dead, won't take a jump through the remote start terminal for its life.....have you tried starting it by jumping it, not by battery charge?

Erich M Guest

Default Trans Code was the tip-off

If you get the "Trans Code" alarm, this is your first indication that your voltage is low. It happened to me on my '95 525iA. I topped off the battery with some distilled water, and the alternator took care of the rest. I agree that if you have had the car sitting for six months and the battery was marginal to begin with, try recharging it or bite the bullet and purchase a new one. An original BMW battery is not necessary nor cheap. Interstate makes a good replacement which if it proves to be the solution to your problem, is much cheaper than a new trans.

This months Roundel has the Hack Mechanic having some odd problems with a 525 that were cured totally by installing a new battery. I'd second the recommendation for a new battery. The battery in my 535 is not the original size for BMW so I'm pretty sure you can get something from Kragen or other that will not cost more than $60 however the interstate battery would be much better. Disconnecting the battery during the change will clear the codes and clear the computer and trans memory as well. Let it idle for a few minutes after you start it for the memory the get collected.

Mike Holbrook

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ryan-roopnarine
    won't make it not start, your battery may have taken a dump....my 525i, i know by experience, will start with as little as 11.0 volts, but if its stone cold dead, won't take a jump through the remote start terminal for its life.....have you tried starting it by jumping it, not by battery charge?

Thanks for the reply, we did the jump, then we took out the battery and charged overnight the next day. All the other electronics work fine....the car ran the first day, and now nothing....Hubby is from the "old school" of 63 chevys.....not a BMW guy....

Put new gas in it too.....

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    It would help if you state where you are located... maybe one of us dedicated E34 Bimmerheads would be kind enough to come over and assist.

Check with bmwe34.net for all the info on your car.

Hello,

We are located in Atlanta....off exit 6 on 400. Trying to fix her ourselves....my job got eliminated so we are not in the position to replace the tranny if we can avoid it.....

Thanks,
    Shirley

saleswman525 Guest

Default More info on 1992 525...not starting

Hey gang,

I just love you guys.....I have been trying to get this issue sorted out for a week.

Ok..this is what we have done so far...

1. Sprayed starting fluid into thru trottle body to try and get it running....did not work.

2. Charged battery, new gas

Will only turn over not run...ran the first day, has not run since.

No spark to spark plugs that we can tell.....HELP!!!!

Thanks for all of the responses thus far!!!!

Shirley

Never use starting fluid please! Sound like you may simply have a bad crankshaft sensor... if this is not working, car won't start no matter how long you crank.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast