GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M30 aftermarket cam: have you got one?

Default M30 aftermarket cam: have you got one?

Guys,

In pulling down Fritz's head for a rebuild, I found unacceptable cam lobe and rocker wear. The rockers are getting replaced, I figured I'd drop a feeler for any kind of aftermarket cam; otherwise I'll pull a stocker out of something else.

PM me if you've got something.

best, whit

Place in San Diego, Schneider Cams, that regrinds stock cams into mild to wild. Just a thought. Don't know their web address or phone etc. I once had my cam reground for my 2002. Think I went from 172 to 184 which is pretty mild for that car. Cost was pretty reasonable too.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

Default I like the regrind 284 from ireland.

The dyno reported a swap of a few ft-lb's down low to up high with the regrind. It doesn't quite run out of breathe to redline anymore (with the right afm-replacement profile). Ireland's regrind is $190 +$100 core. I'd suggest the bigger eccentrics with the regrind. New stock eccentrics lay down pretty far with my regrind.

I've only heard good things about the schrick 284. VAC motorsport doesn't offer an alternative to the schrick, as they like it that much. Jeff found a schrick for $410, I think, somewhere.
    erased due to slander

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Guys,

In pulling down Fritz's head for a rebuild, I found unacceptable cam lobe and rocker wear. The rockers are getting replaced, I figured I'd drop a feeler for any kind of aftermarket cam; otherwise I'll pull a stocker out of something else.

PM me if you've got something.

best, whit
    I've got a "mild regrind" on mine, dunno what the specs are, it's a Bav Engine Exchange product.

This particular setup has pretty good low-mid grunt (2.5k - 5k) but less up top than stock. Really drops off after 5-5.5k, but that could be a number of things besides the cam. I've also got a 3.91 rear end, so that helps with the feeling of more torque.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Thanks for the info, guys. If I have it reground, I'll send it off to Leo at Memphis as he does all of our machine work and one of a few in the industry that can be trusted. I trust shrick, but not VAC or their opinion.

I was hoping someone had something "sitting around". Oh well, guess it's time for another stocker.

best, whit

EDIT: make that memphis. I always confuse the two. Jeeze.
    Last edited by Kalevera; 02-11-2006 at 03:38 PM.

I have a cam but it probably wont fit and at 303@.050 wouldnt idle under 3000rpms..785 lift would need a file to make the valves stop hitting too,
    Thanks for the info, guys. If I have it reground, I'll send it off to Leo at Midwest as he does all of our machine work and one of a few in the industry that can be trusted. I trust shrick, but not VAC or their opinion.

I was hoping someone had something "sitting around". Oh well, guess it's time for another stocker.

best, whit
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default What's up with VAC?

...just curious.

Thanks for the info, guys. If I have it reground, I'll send it off to Leo at Midwest as he does all of our machine work and one of a few in the industry that can be trusted. I trust shrick, but not VAC or their opinion.

best, whit
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

question is?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy