GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: PS Reservoir and Hose Replacement

Default PS Reservoir and Hose Replacement

I have a pretty nasty PS leak right at the hose that is offset of the bottom of the PS reservoir (11 in fiche). I ordered a new reservoir and both hoses (7 and 11) that come out of the bottom of the reservoir. It's a 91 535i and takes ATF, so no LAD. I ordered them from BMA and afterwards I looked at RealOEM. It looks like one hose attaches to a pipe via a hose clamp, should be no problem there. The other one attaches to the pump itself with a banjo bolt (14/15). Since that is a pressure fitting, I would think it would be a good idea to replace the gasket or crush washer, but it says the part is discontinued. Am I looking at it wrong or should I head over to the dealer and see if I can get those gaskets?? Appears to be one on either side of the fitting.

Last edited by athflying79; 02-10-2006 at 09:31 AM.
    91 535iA M30 Auto
    Born in 3/91 (The Bimmer, not me )

120,000 Miles
    Pics soon--she is a work in progress

After reading a couple other posts...should I replace #13 and 8?? I was hoping to get this done this weekend, but I would rather do it right the first time.

As far as I know #11 is the only one leaking. It looks like at some point it was overtightened and is leaking at the hose clamp. No weeping through the hose as described in some posts.
    91 535iA M30 Auto
    Born in 3/91 (The Bimmer, not me )

120,000 Miles
    Pics soon--she is a work in progress

Default I would say.....

replace them as they break, not all at a time. Number #13 is expansive, about $200 at dealer and $150 at BMA. I had #13 leaking and replaced it. If you have leak at hose clamp, I would say, cut those clamp out and use new one which you can tight with screw driver. You done have to replace them. You need to replace them only when hose has a hole/leak in the meddle. And about crush washed, yes dealer have them ( as I got them from dealer) and you can get from another auto store too.

One thing I would say, if you dont have lift, then it is goona be a very messy job, so dress accordingly . I wested a jeans and a T-shirt.

Good luck
    Akhil

Default No....I would not replace them if they are not weeping....

The ones from the reservoir are the ones that generally weep.

YES do find new crush washers....You should have some luck at the dealership. There is one on each side of the banjo fitting. The size is 16x22. They have a larger opening than the oil plug bolt, etc etc. Chances are they show up NLA b/c the part number has been superceded by a new one. The dealer will be able to reconcile.

Quote Originally Posted by athflying79
    After reading a couple other posts...should I replace #13 and 8?? I was hoping to get this done this weekend, but I would rather do it right the first time.

As far as I know #11 is the only one leaking. It looks like at some point it was overtightened and is leaking at the hose clamp. No weeping through the hose as described in some posts.
    Last edited by Scott H; 02-10-2006 at 10:37 AM.

On my 1990 535i, 5 spd, 104K miles, I recently replaced hose #11 and the 2 clamps that go under the reservoir. Save yourself some time and go directly to the dealership to get washers #15, you won't find them anywhere else.

Note, make sure you replace the 2 crimp clamps under the reservoir with worm drive ones.