GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Crankshaft Position Sensor?

Default Crankshaft Position Sensor?

I have a 2001 525i and the check engine light goes on and off constantly. It may stay on for a couple of days and then it goes off for two or three days. My husband has one of those testers to find out what the problem is and it showed the crankshaft position sensor is defective. Does anyone know what that is and where it is located? Is it possible for my husband to repair it himself or do we need to take it to a BMW Service Center? This problem is causing the car to go dead on occasions. Especially when I stop at a light or stop sign. I really would like to get this problem solved because I dont want to cause something else to go wrong because of this one thing.

Please Help!

Yes, its easy to replace. It's a 2 pin sensor located on teh front of the motor. It may be somewhat difficult to reach but its possible. The car going dead is a sign of failed CPS (Crankshaft position sensor). MAKE SURE that the errors is related to the Crankshaft position sensor and NOT the cam shaft position sensor(s). They are easy to confuse. Getting a diagram for you now.

Part number is: 12141709616

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...79&hg=12&fg=05

Number 3 on that page... it will be located on the front of the engine. There's a toothed gear behind the crank pulley (biggest pulley). At the 11 - 1 o clock position on that pulley there should be a little metal tabbed sensor, thats the crank position sensor.

Default No need for the frowny faces . . . we feel your pain.

I just changed my CPS a few months ago with a lot of help from the guys here (see http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14490).

If your husband doesn't mind doing work on the car he should be able to do it on his own. I had to remove my intake manifold but I have a '94 525i.

Find the toothed gear with your fingers when the engine is **not** hot. The sensor is probably less than 1 cm away reading those teeth. Follow the wire in the sensor and follow it to the plug. My wire meandered up the front of the engine, and disappeared under the intake manifold. The plug was under there too.

Please do not use this information to nag your husband: "Everybody online says it's so easy . . . so why can't you FIX IT ALREADY!"
    Job 14:1 Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble.
    az