GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tranny level issues

Default Tranny level issues

so,

AAMCO say it needs to be rebuilt, $2160 not including unknown hard parts, does include new torque converter.

With 36k warranty comes to $2602, with lifetime warranty $3904. Their tranny guy has the best zf bmw reputation in town, so it's not about the rebuilder.

His first inclination was that it acted like it was low on fluid. That's what my indy said too. However, they both put the car up on a lift hot and both times fluid puked out immediately. Now the symptoms are a little more pronounced from those two pukings.

Isn't the fluid level temperature sensitive? I thought you were supposed to start the car cold and do your fill at a certain temperature to get the level right. If that is the case, couldn't they be measuing level at too high a temperature.

Before I start to contemplate $3000 worth of tranny fixin or buy a donor M5 and make a full conversion, shouldn't I check it one more time?

I'm hoping Terry Sayther can sort this out with me.

any thoughts on temperature sensitive filling? Anyone? What's your favorite fluid?

best,

gng

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

the temp is crucial, cant be too hot or too cool, if you stick your hand on the pan it should be unconmfortable but not burning hot.

engine has to be running and should go from reverse to low and back so that the trans goes into each gear, then put in park while idling and then checked.

If it was checked with the engine off your even lower on fluid than before causing the increased symptoms.

let us know how they checked it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    the temp is crucial, cant be too hot or too cool, if you stick your hand on the pan it should be unconmfortable but not burning hot.

engine has to be running and should go from reverse to low and back so that the trans goes into each gear, then put in park while idling and then checked.

If it was checked with the engine off your even lower on fluid than before causing the increased symptoms.

let us know how they checked it.
    Engine off at the first place, not sure at AAMCO...checking now.

please baby please just be a level issue. What's the best fluid?

Default Bill R has posted a chart before.....

it's in the archives. Maybe he'll post it again after banging his head against the wall......

Okay, scroll down....this post looks good....

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ny+fluid+chart

Good luck on this issue!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    Engine off at the first place, not sure at AAMCO...checking now.

please baby please just be a level issue. What's the best fluid?
    Last edited by Scott H; 02-07-2006 at 01:49 PM.

530 zf 5hp-18 (what you have) takes dextron III, I used royal purple fluid which is full synthetic, bout 4 bux a court or less.

I believe you have found the problem.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

if my transmission is down (by the dipstick) by 1/2 litre, i can usually eyeball it and get it just right and achieving a perfect fill by putting in about 200ml of cold transmission fluid (or less). tranny fluid expands a great deal when hot as opposed to cold. it needs to be adjusted (right now) so that at full hot, its at a perfect level (even if it pukes and acts difficult along the way). only once you get a perfect reading at operating temperature can anyone begin to diagnose any problems with your transmission.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    only once you get a perfect reading at operating temperature can anyone begin to diagnose any problems with your transmission.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

AAMCO guy says it was idling.

I think I need to go valley girl....for sure for sure.

It was definetely worse this morning at cold temp, and that's usually when shifts are tightest.

Default Geoff, have you verified you have A5S 310Z.....

per what you VIN brings up???? I don't think you have 5HP-18. Just wanted to get that straight before looking for fluids.

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    AAMCO guy says it was idling.

I think I need to go valley girl....for sure for sure.

It was definetely worse this morning at cold temp, and that's usually when shifts are tightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    per what you VIN brings up???? I don't think you have 5HP-18. Just wanted to get that straight before looking for fluids.
    AAMCO says it's the 5HP-18.,.as have all others at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast